Author Topic: led flex strips  (Read 1010 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
led flex strips
« on: October 16, 2013, »
a friend of mine has a bunch of led flex strips that have their own 12v power supply, they are different from the pixel nodes in the fact that they have 4 wires, one is 12v. can I use these on lynx equipment?

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: led flex strips
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, »
What type of strips are they?  If they are dumb strips then yes but  they are smart strips then no.  This type of smart strip uses the 4th wire for a clocking signal that is not provided by the SSC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, »
I believe they are smart strips. I remember seeing him turn one on and it did all kinds of preset color variations. the controller is remote controlled .. there isn't any indication on the strips as to what they are. here are a couple of pics. can't see much though

thanks

duane
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, »
If you just wanted to turn them on and off, the power supply for the leds itself (I suspect a wallwart) will mostly likely tolerate that, however, dimming them would likely not be tolerated.

Meanwell makes a couple of LED power supplies that can tolerate a leading edge dimmer like the typical kind used in your house.  They are not outdoor rated and a bit spendy with shipping.

Alan

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, »
Duane, those look just like the stings and controller  I ordered for for a friend for a Halloween party. They were dumb strings. It should have came with a remote .can you include a pic of it.   you should be able to use dsc controllers

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, »
remote, that just so happens to not work!
Florence, KY

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, »
Definitely a Dumb string. The "R G B" on the strip are a clue. One wire for each color with a single Common for +12V

Those can be connected to an MR-16 DC controller or to a Pixelnet based Dumb String Controller (DSC).

On the MR-16, each dumb strip would occupy three DMX channel, giving you a maximum of 5 strips per controller.
The DSCs would be 1 controller per strip.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, »
Yup defilty a dumb string.... Duane check the batteries they are not very good pm and let me know if you need some dscs

Joe

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, »
Duane,

I have a bunch of dumb string controllers if you are interested.

They aren't built nor PICS programmed.

Do you have the tools to program PICs?  PICKIT II or III?

I have all the stuff, just no time to get them done.  I can sell or lone them to you.

Mike H
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, »
thanks mike. I think I am sticking with smart strings though. not too mention, my friend made it sound like he bought a lot of these and that they would be pretty cheap. he is wanting 22 bucks for 150 nodes, they are cheaper on line. I think I am going to pass and stick with smart strings. now just time to get a mega tree and a matrix sequenced and incorporated into my show. I was hoping for a couple of new songs but time is running out. thanks for your help guys.

duane
Florence, KY