Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1353 times)

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
Advice needed
« on: October 22, 2013, »
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, I have all sorts  of controllers and I am hoping someone might point me in the direction of a better way of getting it all a bit more manageable. In the past i have used vixen 2.1 and LOR. Last year with the increase in channel count vixen was worked to death and I could only run a few songs at a time. I am also sure running 2 dongles and a serial was slowing things down a little as compared to DMX, I did see lag but only Wizards in winter pushed that to its limit! ;)

So I have 6 LOR controllers, 2 renards, 2 Lynx, 2 Ether dongles, 2 lynx dongles, 2 active hubs and 2 Universes of pixelnet. Most of my sequences are in vixen 2.1 currently and I was using the reidfo plugin to control the LOR stuff. I know its a little late to address this but I finally have some time now, my work has kept me real busy all year.

Now that I am trying to catch up on my reading and hearing LOR S3 may actually control a lot of it and xlights as well I was wondering what would be a good way to approach this. I was also wondering if I purchased a superstar sequence how well that might convert into what ever route I choose. Perhaps both S3 and Xlights???

So any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!   

Thanks in advanced!
Tallan

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, »
Ok.. I'll help where I can.

First of all, I'll tell you that I'm programming with LOR S3 and Superstar and using LOR S3 to control my show.  I'm going through an Etherdongle, to control 2 LOR, 2 Lynx Express, 2 SSR w/ DMX, and 2 Active Hubs with 1080 RGB pixels (so far).

LOR S3 Advanced license is able to utilize E1.31, so it would allow you to use the EthD to control up to 4 pixelnet universes.  You can still use your USB485 LOR dongle to control your LOR controllers separately, if you desire, so that you can still get your "shimmer" and "twinkle" through hardware, or if you have the Gen 3 controllers, they are controllable by DMX (but you lose the hardware effects).  I'm not sure about the Renard protocol, but S3 gives you the network options of "Raw DMX", "ENTTEC DMX USB Pro", "Lynx" and "E1.31".  The "Lynx" option would be for the Lynx USB dongle and you are only going to get a single DMX universe out of it.  Network setup for my lights were a breeze.  I just set my LOR controllers to use my 485 dongle and set everything else to use E1.31. 

If you have been using S3, then you are probably familiar with its quirks (slow loads for editing, large file size, etc).  The only issue I've run into is running out of virtual memory when transfering large sequences from Superstar to S3.  S3 (and most software out there) is hardwired to use 2GB of virtual memory.  Going beyond that 2GB will crash the software.  Fortunately, there is a patch that allows you to use 4GB of virtual memory, and since installing that patch I have yet to run into any problems.

Superstar is a nice piece of software, and Brian Bruder (the programmer) is actively working to improve it.  It has some nice effects, and allows you to program, not only your RGBs, but your incans as well.  Brian has come up with a nice feature that allows you to import a visualization of your lights, and have a second "visualization pair" to represent your light fixtures/pixels in a horizontal grid at the same time.  For the most part, you can switch back and forth between the two to program your lights to behave the way you want.  I'm still learning Superstar, but I'm liking it more and more as I get used to it.... and its fast at its edits, loads and playbacks. 

Now for the headache in the LOR family... the visualizer.  This needs a complete overhaul in my opinion.  You may or may not be aware of visualizer's 1024 fixture limitation, but its a serious PITA.  While your incan strings are no problem (the entire string is a single fixture), RGB's are a headache.  Each pixel is considered a fixture, so you can see that if you have a lot of RGB pixels you are going to run out of room quick.  UNFORTUNATELY to get your representation of your lights into Superstar, you import a visualization that you have created.  Brian has done his best to overcome this limitation by using "keywords" in the props to allow you to import representations of CCRs as strings of RGB Pixels.  This allows you to set up your visualization using a single CCR fixture to represent an entire RGB string which allows your to slip by the visualizer's 1024 fixture limit. The problem?  The visualizer still sees it as a CCR so you can't play the song back in the visualizer and have it accurately represented. 

So, to answer your original questions... Yes, S3 will control your lights.  Yes, S3 and Superstar will sequence your lights for you.  If the Renard understands the DMX protocol, you could drop your dongles to just the LOR USB485 and an EthD or if you have the Gen 3 controllers, just the EthD.  You can use xLights to run your show or use S3's scheduler.  You have the added ability to use nutcracker to assist in sequencing your RGBs as the newest version of XLights includes a form of nutcracker. 

If I can be of further help, feel free to ask.

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline pwalstead

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, »
With that big a mix I would look into Light show Pro. There is a learning curve involved and it can be pricey, but it will control all current devices and you can import LOR sequences.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, »
+1  Also imports vixen...  I would actually say the LSP visualizer is one of it's strongest points if that is important to you.  It's quite surprising how my actual show looks so similar the visualizer.  Read up before jumping there are still some bugs but overall I think it's the best out there.   Plenty of time to do something if you are committed...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tallan

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, »
Thanks Guys,

Yeah that vixen import is going to be important seeing how all my files now are in the format. I pulled the trigger on S3 as an update for now and will see where I end up. Going to give Xlights a look too!!!

Tallan

Offline tallan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, »
Just an update for anyone interested...

Yeah the renards can be flashed for DMX but it is a little different on how they handle it. It works now in S3 and with the etherdongle and active hub and even the lynx dongle worked so that's good news for me. Xlights saved the day converting vixen to lor!!!! Now I am off to read up on the pixel net and getting those set up in S3.

Thanks again.
Tallan

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, »
Thanks for the update!  If I can help at all, please post or drop me a PM.  There's no LOR forum on here, so you'll have to go to the official LOR forums at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, but they are pretty helpful over there.

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline brownjm74

• Brown Christmas Light Show
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just an update for anyone interested...

Yeah the renards can be flashed for DMX but it is a little different on how they handle it. It works now in S3 and with the etherdongle and active hub and even the lynx dongle worked so that's good news for me. Xlights saved the day converting vixen to lor!!!! Now I am off to read up on the pixel net and getting those set up in S3.

Thanks again.
Tallan

Tallan,

When you figure out how to do the pixel net within S3 could you post it here or send me a PM.  I am just starting in the RGB world and I am hoping I have enough time to get RGB arches in this year.  Thanks

Offline doga78

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, »
any update on this ?
Thank you