Author Topic: SS Hub power options?  (Read 1129 times)

dandyman

SS Hub power options?
« on: July 30, 2012, »
W/o cutting traces and installing some type of switch, is there a way to configure either of the hubs (active/passive) so that it can use either type of power source (Computer power supply or a dedicated 12V supply w/the optional parts kit)?

I know from reading the forum, as it stands now, you can do either/or, but not both...

thanks....

Dan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: SS Hub power options?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, »
I think you can't mix them, correct.

The problem with most standalone 12v waterproof supplies is they are lucky to do 3-5 amps ... so you might be able to do one or two items (3 at the most) ... but a SS hub has 16 ports, so it seems like a waste to me of power ...  I think using the passive 4-port hubs with a standalone 12v PS makes more sense ... since those only have 4 ports and its a better match to the standalone PS capabilities.  And it also off-loads some power to certain items, esp. if you find your PS on the main SS hub can't quite cut it on it own, or the remote items are a little too far for the cat5 power injection.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dandyman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, »
Thanks, Scott...

I got a couple of regulated 12 V. server power supplies off ebay (2 for $5.00). They are rated at 41 amps each (and amazingly, they both work !!)

So I was looking at using them, but wanted to have the option of using a computer power supply, also (not at the same time)... I guess I can always pull the small regulators if I have to go that route...

Dan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, »
No, but why would you want to do that?  PC power supplies are almost ALWAYS less expensive than a straight up 12V power supplie of similar output caability. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, »
2 for $5.00 is a pretty good price. Great buy Dandyman.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, »
One thing nice about PC power supplies, if you get a MAJOR short in the power - it will shut itself down.....

Myk