Author Topic: A little help please.  (Read 29369 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: A little help please.
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2012, »
See the attached graphic...it is from the wiki.  The item circled in red is the firmware that you use to flash your etherdongle to output DMX.  The one circled in blue is the one you drop in your /plugin/output folder as Rick stated.  It should then show up in your list of available output plugins.  Highlight it and select Use.  It should move to the right side.  I am not sure how to set it up past there as I have not used the ED in this mode, but it looks like there is no configuration other than channels...which would be all of them just like pixelnet.

Something I noticed is it appears that both plugins (pixelnet & DMX) have the same name in the plugin list when you go to select it in Vixen so I would delete the existing one from your output folder so that when you put the DMX one in there, you know that you are selecting the correct one; otherwise, I am not sure how you would know that you picked the right one to use.

-Keith

Offline injury

« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How do you download this to use it in the plugin?
Do you insert it into the vixen file?

Lynx+EtherDongle.dll (28 kB - downloaded 400 times.)

You don't want that version for DMX the DMX version of that plugin has no + in the name just a space.

It goes in the plugin\output folder in vixen. Then when you setup a show for testing you assign the channels you add to it.

If I were you I'd keep the conductor off until you make sure the Etherdongle is running either DMX or Pixelnet sucessfully. No sense complicating things, the route you are going now once it talks to your old LE, I'd then swap the firmware for pixelnet version and to the Vixen ED pixelnet plugin and talk to the SSC. Then once you see all that working make the hop to reflashing the ED to conductor and putting the conductor board back in.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2012, »
having both plugins will lead to confusion in vixen, as they both are named the same when you choose it from inside the program.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2012, »
Is the set up and testing correct?

Is there a light that should be on at the MagicJack?

The channel lights are not on at the LE doing testing.

Will go over solder points.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

sjb

« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2012, »
When you are in the test channel in Vixen did you click on Select ALL?

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2012, »
Yes they all went blue.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2012, »
Your setup looks good.  When you plug the network cable from the computer into the dongle (at the Magjack), the green light on the dongle jack should come on.  If it doesn't, then you are not getting communication from the computer to the dongle.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2012, »
If it is an older computer, there is the possibility that it will require a cross-over cable rather than a straight through cable from the computer to the dongle.  There are quite a few postings on that possibility.  Do a search in the Etherdongle section for crossover and you should find lots of results.  I know I have an older laptop that would not work with a regular cable.  As soon as I plugged a crossover cable in, the green light came on.  Definitely try a different regular cable first though.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2012, »
Could there be some thing wrong with the cat5e connection inside the computer.
Software or hardware?

If I got this right when plugging in the cat5e to the dongle without any power to the dongle a light should come on on the MagicJack? The power should be from the computer?

I have a brand new i5 computer.
Can we test the cat5e output some how?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2012, »
Can you get on the internet using that cable with your wireless disabled (if you have wireless). On xp machines it will try to get an ip address when you attach the etherdongle but after awhile will say limited connection. This is normal. Win7 machines will say unknown network. The etherdongle has its own power adapter.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, by keitha43 »

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2012, »
So you are saying that the power adapter has to be plugged in for the MagicJack light to come on?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2012, »
Yes, you need the power applied to the etherdongle for the lights to come on.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2012, »
The light on the MagicJack in not coming on.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2012, »
OK, that means you are not getting communication to the dongle from the computer.  It sounds like your computer is fairly new so I doubt you are needing a cross-over cable as that usually applies to older equipment.  Another check (I think) is if you have a router for internet or wireless networking, you can plug the etherdongle into one of the ports in that and see if the green light comes on.  If it still does not, I believe you have an issue with your etherdongle.

I have an extra regular dongle that is flashed with pixelnet that I wouldn't mind letting you borrow if it would help you out this year. 

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2012, »
OK. Here we go. The light on the right side on the MagicJack is coming on when I plugged the ED into the router.
So the problem is in my computer then. Softwear or hardware? The fact I just got this computer maybe thee is a set up I missed to do with the cat5e.

This is a mobile unit I have to get the conductor working.