Author Topic: SSC v3 mod not working  (Read 2374 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
SSC v3 mod not working
« on: December 09, 2012, »
Any suggestions on why my v3 mod didn't work, I did 5 of them and no output at all with the test firmware.

Here is what I did:
-Starting with v1 controllers that were previously working this week.
-Cut the trace as shown in the picture coming off the 330ohm resistor.
-Soldered a cat5 strand between the data out line and the last pin of the pic (edge of the pcb side of pic). I didn't solder to the 485 chip pin because I caught myself the first time I did that by accident.
-Programmed the Pic with the v3 test firmware hex from the wiki under the v3 ssc and received the check-sum of 2180 matching the wiki.
- connected a working string of nodes to the modded SSC  and plugged it into a working hub that I verified the fuse is not blown and no output.

I could understand some of them not working but all 5?

I have reread the instructions 5 times and verified placement of data lead and cut for trace. I also verified the trace does not conduct anymore at the cut.

I even tried loading the actual controller firmware in case the test firmware wasn't working and received the correct check-sum but no response when trying to program start channels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

Re: SSC v3 mod not working
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, »
You cut the trace between the two resistors?

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, »
Yes, cut the trace and verified it was cut with a meter.
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, »
So I had some v2 SSC kits and I built one and did the mod.

Nothing.

I am obviously doing something wrong.
-Brian
-------------

Offline injury

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-Programmed the Pic with the v3 test firmware hex from the wiki under the v3 ssc and received the check-sum of 2180 matching the wiki.
- connected a working string of nodes to the modded SSC  and plugged it into a working hub that I verified the fuse is not blown and no output.

Did you forget to use the SS utility and program the string for node type/length?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, »
You connected the end with the chip in the node?

Offline rm357

SSC v3 mod not working
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, »
Ok, I'm pulling at straws, but the checklist always keeps me out of trouble...

Nodes hooked up correctly? Colors look ok, are those the wires going into the chip side of the node?
Is 3.3v present? On the regulator closest to the node end, one pin is 3.3v, one is 5v, and the other is ground.
Reflow solder on the two little caps beside the pic. One of the middle leads doesn't look like the solder flowed.
Check pic for bent pins.

Note: the test firmware only uses the pic and regulators. The 485 chip doesn't do anything when the test firmware is installed.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, »
Like you I did a mod, but just one.  I could not get it to work for anything.  I even swapped PICs with a V1 SSC and reflashed again.  I still don;t know what I did, but all of a sudden I tested it again and it worked.  After that experience I have not tried another one yet, but I am not having any problems with my v1s or v2s.  This will probably wait until after the season for me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, »
When I used the regular SSC firmware, I did try to use the SS Utility but got no response from the Strings. I don't need to use the SS utility with the test firmware though, correct?

I ended up having to reprogram 5 controllers from the back of my mega tree to use for my star. I had to use the SS utility to program the 5 relocated controllers. I used the same string of nodes that has given me no response with the modded controllers to program the relocated controllers and it worked correctly. I am also able to connect the string to one of Ray's controllers and it outputs correctly.

Keith, yes the chip end is the input side on the string.

rm, I am pulling at straws and there aren't any.
The nodes have a 3 pin connector attached to them so it is easy to swap, using ray's device to test output the string functions properly. Strings are the same strings I had running before the mod.
I will have to check the 3.3v and 5v chips. I will check for bent pins  but the pic wasn't removed and the solder spots you mentioned but I am very methodical about soldering and these controllers (5 of them) were working before the mod and now they do not.
Good to know about the test firmware, time for more testing.
-Brian
-------------

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, »
You might check to see if you cut more than 1 trace. I think I accidentally cut a nearby trace a couple of times. I think it was to the near side of the jumper.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, by keitha43 »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, »
with it running, also check the node side of the SSC, are you getting 12v between + and -?

are you getting between 0v ~ 5v between data and -?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, »
7805 output 4.94v
LD33cv output 3.25

The output +/- wires from the SSC to the string have 11.64v
End of the string, i exposed the wires and have 11.5v

Re flowed every joint on the SSC.

Total of 5 traces in the region of the cut.
All 4 that I was not suppose to cut have continuity.

Verified continuity from the pic pin above where the jumper is soldered to the data out line and have continuity.

Re-flashed the chip with a different programmer (was using pickit2, switched to pickit3)
using the "smart_strings_3_test.hex" from the wiki under the "Smart String Controller V3" section

It looks like I have power just no data output?

Chris, On the data out and ground I am getting 0.45v

When I switch off the power supply the lights will blink just before the power kicks off.

Update:
So I take this modded SSC out to my Mega Tree and connect it to a string out there and it starts cycling thru colors.

So now I am confused, the string I have been using inside works on Rays SS controller device, worked on the v1 controllers with 180 ohm resistors but does not work on the new modded v3 controller with the 330 ohm resistor.

I also tried 2 other strings I had in the house.

Hmmm, so now to try the rest of them.

Update2:
So every modded controller works on the string outside.

Does the mod not work well with strings that may have a flaky node?
I thought the purpose of the mod was to make it work better with flaky nodes.

Now to start cutting up the other strings to see what is the issue.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, »
Here is the latest:
v1 controllers all strings work with both test firmware and programmed to a channel.

v3 controllers (5 of them) some strings work fine with test firmware some do not, (same strings that work with the v1 controllers with test firmware).

When trying to program a start channel after flashing to the v3 modded firmware (and only using the updated SS utility.exe for v3 modded controllers for programming) it does not work.

I modded a v3 controller back to v1 and it works again with all the strings.

I have no idea why this is not working.

I would say it is a v1 problem but I built a v2 and modded it to v3 and still no go on certain strings.

It is like the v3 mod is not giving data or doesn't have enough to drive the line.

All modded controllers have in common a single 330 ohm resistor next to where the trace was cut and use a strand of cat5 cable to connect the data out line to Pic pin # 15 per the drawing in the wiki.

At this point I am modding the SS controllers back to v1.
-Brian
-------------

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, »
I noticed that when I installed the new Smart String Utility software that I was (for a while) running the OLD version and didn't know it.

So I started going to the Smart String thread, then picking RJ' sticky thread on the mod, and then downloading and running it straight from there.  I later removed the old version manually, because the shortcut on my desktop was for the OLD version, not the new.  I then put the new .exe on my desktop to I knew it was the correct one. 

Just a guess, but make sure its the correct software.

I also did an ERASE first, then reprogrammed my PIC(s) after that ... using a pickit2.

For me, I modded about 13 controllers from v1 to v3 and they all work great. 

Also make sure the wire order on the SSC matches the type of SS item your using.  I have what I thought was a couple of bad SSCs ... but they were setup to work on one variety and not the other.  The wire color from last year to this year only add to all the confusion.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CW

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, »
I noticed you mentioned inside and outside testing and Rays tester.  When you test inside, are you using a hub in the setup to inject power? 
I know from experience in doing my mods to v3 and went dongle straight into the SSC and it would not work.  It was late at night and the next morning was a ah hah moment.

Craig