Author Topic: How to transfer files  (Read 648 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
How to transfer files
« on: December 21, 2010, »
Well here is my problem I bought a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 64 bit and my home computer is Windows xp 32 bit everything I made for SEQ, Profile, was done on the home computer and when I move the files into vixen on the laptop nothin works except the audio files. Can someone tell me in simple terms what to do or if the two systems are even compatible. Please don't assume I know what your talking about I am computer dumb but I follow instructions well.  <fp. :P
Jeff

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: How to transfer files
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, »
Hi Jeff,

Couple of things. First as long as the files are in the correct location there is no difference to Vixen between 32 or 64 bit. I would bet the com port has changed. So you will have to change that for it to work. If you are using xlights you just need the music and seq in the same folder like before and run xlights. Set the file location and then setup the network just like in my video. I move files between Windows XP and Windows 7 all of the time with no problems with Vixen. So it can be done.

Start with one thing. Do you need Vixen running first or xlights?

Let me know and we can go from there.

If you don't know what com port the new computer is using than download  then unzip and run my program to find it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Did you install the FTDI drivers on the new computer?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, »
hey Rick thats just it I don't know about the drivers I believe I have downloaded the diver forthe dongle but can't be sure I looked in program files and don't see anything that has FTDI in it how do I tell. I have not plug the dongle in because I thought I read not to until drivers are installed, Where are the drivers located
Jeff

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, »
Hi Jeff

Click on the link below and after it downloads to the new computer. Run the program. It will install the drivers needed for the dongle

If you get an error when you try to run it. Then right click on the program and select run as administrator

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required