Author Topic: Damaged SSC Advice...  (Read 1425 times)

Offline rokkett

Damaged SSC Advice...
« on: August 28, 2011, »
Ok, I got too quick and tested a strand of the square nodes and didn't notice the end of the strand had looped around and shorted the three cables on the frame of a node,  So here is my question: I am pretty sure that the LD1117V33C and the PIC are done for.  Both got very hot before I noticed the problem.  Do you think any other components are damaged?  The fuse on the hub did not blow.  I will need to build a second SSC to test the hub and lights, but just curious how badly I damaged everything before I send out a Mouser order.  Hopefully the damage is limited to the SSC. Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Damaged SSC Advice...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, »
I would do some testing first on the string with a different SSC. The regulator does not supply power to the lights so it should be hard to load it from that. Both regulators have thermal limiting so they will shut off before they burn up normally.

It would be the fuse or string normally that would be harmed.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rokkett

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, »
Ok, I had planned on building the additional controllers later, but looks like I will be building the second now. :(  Everything was working perfectly until I made this mistake.  The first thing I tested was a 128 node string and all was working.  I then went to test the square nodes when I shorted it out.  I think the 12v fed back up the data line and caused the issue on the SSC.  I hope the SCC failure has protected my hub and the damage is limited to the regulator and the PIC, but I will find out next weekend.  I will just put fixing the broken SSC on hold for now and verify that I haven't caused any other damage.  Thanks for the quick response. The DIY support is better than commercial support, as always. :)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, »
One thing to keep on mind that I found out... all the different light types listed in the wiki are not wired the same dealing with wire colors.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thing to keep on mind that I found out... all the different light types listed in the wiki are not wired the same dealing with wire colors.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

This is also an important point and make sure you are hooking it up correct. This is one of my gripes as I tried to get them to change them to all match and could not.

RJ

Offline rokkett

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, »
...built 6 more SSCs and have determined that my hub and lights were not damaged.  I am just going to set this damaged SSC aside for now and keep moving forward.  Thanks for everyone's advice.... :)

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, »
I had something similar happen during my early testing. I was in a hurry and even trying my best to keep the loose end from shorting out but it was inevitable that it did. I heard a pop and the SSC went dead. I haven't disected it yet but I bet I blew out the PIC since it looks like the output of the pic is driving the LEDs directly.

I hope I make the season without needing a spare.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, »
I always cut the ends clean when taking them out of the box. The come pre trimmed and it is a accident waiting to happen so cut the output side off clean.

RJ

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, »
I just got in a hurry because I received my shipment and had about 2 days to verify that everything worked before leaving on a trip and there is a 5 day window to check and accept or the payment is made by default. When I found some defective ones I put in a request and then the time got extended 2 weeks.

After the accident I slowed down and started taping the Positive voltage lead.

Should have known that getting in a hurry was just a pescription for disaster.