Author Topic: Cutting new 2012 flexstrips  (Read 3626 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Cutting new 2012 flexstrips
« on: July 05, 2012, »
I have watched the video posted by RJ on cutting flexstrips several times as I prepare to cut my recently received strips.  There appear to be manufacturing differences between the strips in the video and the ones that I received last week.  My strips do not have a big diode at the beginning of the strip but a very small surface mount component label RI.  There are also not any additional solder points on the strip that RJ pointed out and that he soldered together to jumper in place of the diode.  I don't think this will impact me as I am only going to cut the strips exactly in half and there is a nice solder joint where that point is and another one of the RI components.

I point this out only so that if someone wants to cut a strip at one of the other non solder joints there could be issues that will come up, but not being an electronics wizard I do not know what that will be.

If someone has any experience with the new flexstrips, I hope they will post here and let us all know what transpired.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Cutting new 2012 flexstrips
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, »
I have the 2012 Flexstrips, exactly as you described above.  Ive cut them into various lengths from as short as three nodes,  to a full strip.  All worked fine for me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, »
When did the strips in the wiki change? So now they can be cut every three leds?

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When did the strips in the wiki change? So now they can be cut every three leds?

Not sure when they exactly changed, I ordered mine in Jan 2012 and I've got the sameones as jnealand.

I've cut my strips into the following node lengths without any issues:

24 nodes
45 nodes
60 nodes
81 nodes
120 nodes

Some of the above nodes were cut out of a single strip, but you do need to go to where the strips are soldered together to make the cut, on mine it seems that a cut can be made every 15 nodes (but don't quote me on that yet, I'll check in a couple of days) (but I do believe that's the case).

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, »
That is great news.  thanks for posting.  I only need half strips, but I could see ordering some more, especially with the lower prices.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, »
Since the output from one led goes to next, if the output is missing on some cut pads it may be save to say the in to the next led may not be there too. I would stick to the soldered sections for splitting strips if you need them wired together.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, »
I just looked at a whole strip.  There are in and out solder points at EVERY 3 leds with soldering only after every 5 sections of leds or soldering completed every 15 leds.  With 120 leds per strip and my plan to cut them in half, I have a soldered connection at the 60 led mid point.  I am just waiting on a shipment of end caps from Ray before I start cutting any of my strips.  I just have to put about a 6" piece of wire where I cut them so I can go up and back down flat for a small spiral tree.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, »
I cut mine last year into four sections of 30 without any problems at all with in or out. Actually never cut them just desoldered them. Mine too had markings for in/out for each three led section but the board was not wired that way.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, »
AH! Never thought of desoldering mine! Brilliant!

Offline animal

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, »
That R1 is a 56 ohm resistor in line on the data line for the 5 segments. I think it just stables the voltage (maybe smooths out the ripple).  Now the pads carry thru.I don't have a scope any more.I don't know if I could measure the voltage thru out the segment. I'm wondering if you just add a another 56 ohm resistor in line with the data (where you cut it at) you might have to calculate down, but how much would it affect if just kept the same. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

animal
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, by animal »

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, »
Just go my new Smart String Controllers from the latest COOP. So I soldered one up, programmed it and started some testing on the Flexstrips.

I can confirm that you MUST start with a strip from the soldered end and then you can make the cut between any of the unsoldered or soldered cut locations (every 3rd LED). Then you MUST move to the next free SOLDERED part of the strip to make the next strip you want to cut.

If you try to connect the smart string controller to a non-soldered end and then make the next cut at any of the cut section, it doesn't work.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, »
Are you working with the 1809 flex or the 1812 flex.  1809 for hassle free cutting is every 30 leds where you see them soldered together.  1812 is every 4 led section without problems.

Myk

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, »
Are you working with the 1809 flex or the 1812 flex.  1809 for hassle free cutting is every 30 leds where you see them soldered together.  1812 is every 4 led section without problems.

Myk

I'm using the 1809 flex strips, so it's cuts every 15 leds where I see them soldered together.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline animal

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, »
Just go my new Smart String Controllers from the latest COOP. So I soldered one up, programmed it and started some testing on the Flexstrips.

I can confirm that you MUST start with a strip from the soldered end and then you can make the cut between any of the unsoldered or soldered cut locations (every 3rd LED). Then you MUST move to the next free SOLDERED part of the strip to make the next strip you want to cut.

If you try to connect the smart string controller to a non-soldered end and then make the next cut at any of the cut section, it doesn't work.

Thanks  peteandvanessa, i kinda figured that. I just got my ssc's too. It's good to know you can cut to size after it and if need be just continue from the sodered ends. Hopefully you don't lose that many to the next segment.
animal

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Re: Cutting new 2012 flexstrips
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, »

Myk

I'm using the 1809 flex strips, so it's cuts every 30 leds where I see them soldered together.

I have soldered joints every 15 LEDs.