Author Topic: My other hobbies  (Read 6292 times)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: My other hobbies
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, »
Since my injury, I move verrrrrrrrrreeeeeee slow.    Still, here is some progress.   

(Latest project:  1/25 1955 Chevy Nomad, "comin' an' goin'...")

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, »
It started out lookin' like this.   :)

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline arw01

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I also enjoy software development, video games, learning more about electronics, and wood working.

Like many of you I have more hobbies than I can afford and now adding in the blinky blinky!

Woodworking bit me in 7th grade and I've invested in the whole shop full of tools, gone off to classes for hand tools, and am pretty much in the final stretch of the big tools a few more upgrades and will be done for life for the machines.

From Wood magazine plans:

For the wife's older hobby, all from my head:

Something why wife saw in a magazine that I made her, the front is a mirror:

The moulding came from a local cabinet manufacturer surplus store, this was a mother-in-law present for her steins display obviously.

and for the sons knick knacks, out of American Beech with "tung oil" finish:

Photography was another big hit in my youth, used to take drives just to take photos while the wife to be slept in the car or on the road when we got to the destination!  Close to D600 so all my old lenses can be used again, not that they are anything special.

Would love to learn to _really_ cook well, and my son wants to be a chef and can probably cook better than anyone in the immediate family at 14 already.

Electronics are on my list to learn in life, being able to do what RJ goes someday and understand and hack whatever it is I could come up with.  Made a couple of things off plans on the internet to monitor my power meter at one time, fixed a few computer mainboards by replacing soldered components.

Computers and programming, some of the first money I made was selling assembly language programs to one of the computer magazines for Apple computers in the day.  Haven't kept up all my skills but can read a few different languages and muck my way around.  Even learned cobol in school for you old timers!

Current projects on that are home automation, ir transceiving to control lights and such with the home automation, a butt on the couch sensor to help with the lights.  Soon to add detailed power monitoring.

Love to learn to weld sometime, yet another hobby to learn..

Square foot gardening, perennial flowers, greenhouse, bike riding, lots of video games (grew up with pong), fishing (have not bought a boat yet),  watching 3d movies in the home theature, car stereo.. Yeah,  more hobbies than I can afford!

It's sad when a long time co-worker retires and their only hobby was work.  I could win the lottery today and be busier than ever!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, by arw01 »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, »
arw01:

I really like that first project -- the carrying box with dowel joinery and curved ends.

My woodworking skills also started in seventh grade -- general shop -- and I made a couple of nice projects in eighth-grade woodshop. Then I diverted over to photography and offset lithography (my high school had a printshop).

I was building my elevated backyard railroad back in 2003 and realized I'd be using lots of dangerous tools -- circular saw, table saw and chop saw -- and then realized that my shop safety classes had been 35 years earlier. So I went to an adult education woodworking class held one evening a week at the local high school. Built a really nice oak end table as my finishing project (and then went on to build the railway).

But I just don't have the time to do woodworking any more, unless a specific project rears its head. I got rid of the table saw (too much room, too little precision).

Before I got married, I had no hobbies; my wife encouraged me to get some and they've made my transition to "under-employment" that much easier.

\dmc