Author Topic: Oveview of SmartString Universe  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Zeph

Oveview of SmartString Universe
« on: March 24, 2012, »
Here is my possibly incorrect understanding.

Starting from the blinky end..

A Smart String is a 12v pixel string of 1 .. 128 RBG nodes, attached to a Smart String Controller (SSC).  The core of a SSC is a PIC24 chip and a RS-485 receiver.  Output is 12V power and 5v data to a 3 wire TM180x based pixel string.  Input is a RJ-45 to Cat 5, with RS-485 on pair 1, and 12 V power on the other 6 conductors (3 power, 3 gnd).  It receives Smart String Protocol at 1 Mbps, with 4096 one-byte channels in each packet, as a max of about 30 times/second (4097 bytes/ packet * 30 * 8 bits/byte < 1 Mbps).  The SSC is programmed for a start address within those 4096 channels, and a length (3..384 channels for 1..128 RBG nodes).

Upstream of this would be a Hub.  A 16 port hub or a 4 port passive hub (?).

The 16 port activehub distributes 12V power from a (potentially large) external power supply to its 16 outputs.  It also receives 4096 one byte channels (in the same 1 Mbps RS-485 Pixelnet format) from upstream, and distributes that same packet to its 16 outputs (RJ45 to Cat5 to SSC).  The upstream link is also RS485, however it does not need to supply power so all 4 pairs are available for Pixelnet data; the 16 port Hub selects which of the 4 pairs it will receive from.  It can pass all 4 pairs downstream to another 16 port hub (daisychaining); the downstream hub could select its input from the same pair (sharing the same or different portions of the same 4096 channels of a pixelnet packet on that pair), or a different pair.  With four daisychained 16 port hubs, each selecting a different Cat5 pair, there could potentially be 16384 one byte channels distributed from the same Cat5 cable (via four 1Mbps RS-485 pairs).

A 16 port active hub can directly connect to 16 SSCs, each of which can handle 1..128 pixels.  That would mean a maximum of 2048 pixels (6144 one byte channels).  In practice it can control at most 1365 independent RGB pixels.  Of course, many strings will be shorter than 128, so it's very flexible to have 16 outputs.

The 16 port active hub can also extract 512 bytes (on a 512 byte boundary) from among the 4096 it listens to, and output those as DMX (250 Kbps RS-485 on one pair of Cat5+Rj45 using DMX protocol).  Those 512 channels are still available to pixels, if the pixels don't mind having the same data - just as two SSC's could be programmed to extract the same channels or overlapping channels, but would be duplicating channel data.

Upstream of the 16 port active hub there are a couple of choices: the USB pixelnet dongle and the EtherDongle; we'll describe the former first.  The same hardware which is used for a LynxUSB to DMX dongle can with different firmware become a USB to pixelnet dongle.  It will then output 4096 one byte channels over RS-485 at 1 Mbps on pair 1 of its RJ-45->Cat5 output.  The USB input to the dongle goes to your computer (usually directly, tho there exist various USB extenders which may work for you).

If you had only one USB Pixelnet Dongle, it would be sending Pixelnet on only the first pair of wires, and there would be only 4096 downstream channels available for any and all downstream 16 port hubs (all of which would need to be set to listen to the first pair).  However, you could use the Lynx Combiner to merge up to 4 USB Pixelnet Dongle outputs onto a single Cat5 cable (one pair from each input would be wired to each of the 4 pairs in the output Cat5).  Each additional USB to Pixelnet Dongle merged in this way would add 4096 channels which daisychained 16 port hubs could listen to.  So with 4 USB to Pixelnet Dongles going into a Lync Combiner onto a single Cat5 and thence daisychaining at four 16 port hubs (each selecting to listen to a different pair), you could get a total of 16384 channels out to SSCs (for them to extract their programmed set of channels from).

At this point in the description, there are two cable types used in Pixelnet.  Both are Cat5 connecting to RJ-45 jacks.  There is a data-only cable containing 1-4 pairs of 1 Mbps RS-485 pixelnet from dongles to hubs, and a data+power cable containing 1 pair of 1 Mbps RS-485 pixelnet plus 6 conductors of power from hub to SSC.

The EtherDongle adds another option to this mixture.  You might say that it replaces 4 USB Pixelnet dongles and a Lynx Combiner, with a single superdongle which takes Ethernet as its input rather than (four) USB cables.  This means that it uses Cat-5 cables and RJ-45 connectors in yet a third way - to carry 10Mbps or 100Mbps ethernet from the computer to the Etherdongle.  That could be directly connected (with appropriate crossover able or autoMDX ports) or more often through an ethernet switch or even WiFi network.

The EtherDongle receives 16384 channels over ethernet, and puts them out on a single Cat5 (as four 1 Mbps PixelNet pairs).  It will take at least four 16 port active hubs to distribute this to SSCs (each selecting one pair from the Cat5 and thus receiving and distributing 4096 one byte channels).

Cables (all Cat5 or higher using RJ-45 connectors):

Ethernet - up to 100m - 10Mbps or 100Mbps - Computer to Etherdongle
Pixelnet backbone - up to 1000m - 1 to 4 times 1 Mbps - Etherdongle or USB pixelnet dongle to 16 port hub
Pixelnet distribution - up to ? m - 1 Mbps plus power - 16 port hub to SSC

And in addition to this, each 16 port hub can also output one DMX universe on another Cat-5

DMX - up to 1000m - 250Kbps - 16 port hub to DMX devices like Lynx Express

-----------------------

Is the above correct?  I offer it for the Wiki if useful (or I can add it to the wiki with permission).  I had to extract the above from MANY forum posts, wiki pages, and downloadable files from each.

I might do a diagram later.  I want to confirm that the above is accurate first.

The 4 port passive hub is not included in the above, because I haven't yet located a description of where it fits in... not sure what it does that the Lynx Combiner would not do.  I'm sure I just need to read another 100 forum messages, it must be in there somewhere (grin).

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Oveview of SmartString Universe
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, »
I have not read the details for errors do to a time limit, the biggest issue I see with it is that it is an attempt to cover the SS down to a techincal level I don't like on DLA.

Much of it looks Awesome and appropriate but as I have explaned on many occansions I do not care to have techincal info publised on DLA. a few of members disagree but it is the way I run the forum.

The reason is simple. DLA and Lynx equipment is intended to be built by people without a need to know nor understand how many gigahertz the anglular confinment beam is cycliing at. Nor which chip model is used at what phase coupling. There are thousands of web pages on the internet that cater to techincal people to worry with such things, this is not one of them.

whats wrong with it?
Nothing for a site with that as its mission or it's goals. But much for our site. Once a site becomes techincal it tends to end up being a limited number of the most techincal people aguring the benifits of their changes and demoing their intellegence while speaking above most of the members heads.

Also once this begins the most current posts all read like greek to all of the new members that look at the site to see if this is something they are interested in and scares them into believe this is out side of their reach.

These work against the missions and goals of DLA.

So that I am clear and it is not sounding like I do not like the write up I would love to see it in the wiki but only once all of the over techincal info is removed. Leave all the stuff a user needs to know and none of the stuff a designer would need.

Like what chips control things. the average holiday decorated does not know one from the other only those that it would matter care, and they would already know. Serial speeds, how would a user put that to use?
Things like how many channels per universe stuff like that is great.

My honest thoughts on it.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, »
I'm not technical enough for all of the above, but I believe with the ethernet cables you should state "stranded and not solid".

I no nothing about the combiner, but the passive hub for me is used to send pixelnet to a several remote SSCs using only one cat5 cable and then splitting off to 4 SSCs.  You must however provide a separate 12v power source to the passive hub or run a cable from the active hub 12v option output to the 12v input on the passive hub.  So for me it is a way to save on putting 4 long cables up to my roof and using just two - an ethernet for pixelnet signals and an spt2 cord for the 12v power.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here is my possibly incorrect understanding.

Starting from the blinky end..

Zeph, that was AWESOME! You were concise and complete.  Wonderfully done.

I didn't seen anything wrong, but I did only 1/2 reading 1/2 scanning.  (i'm giving myself an out if you got anything at all wrong.)

I see that RJ disagrees in having technical detail present -- but I do believe that it needs to be there somewhere so that a population in this forum can lock their mind around this.  Details fill gaps that can create more confusion.

All of this info is available in the forum today, so its not secret sauce, but a one-stop description saves a reader from scouring lots of material that is often contradictary and takes people away from the original questions.

Thanks for doing this.  If there is a private area for highly technical data to be posted, please grant me access to that location -- and other writeups that you do!

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, »
I'm a Christmas light kind of guy.  I just like pictures.  ;D 

Offline Zeph

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, »
I apologize if I've offended here.

I was trying to help, by gathering information which is already in the Wiki or Forums in one place and trying to organize it.  Since it was there already, I thought it was legitimate information to present.  I went through some refinement passes trying to be both accurate and yet less confusing for less technical folks (obviously not for zero technical).

This was meant to be a contribution, a giving back.  I regret if that intention backfired.  I can't design circuit boards and RJ has that very ably handled, but over the years I've found that if I take the time to be careful I can write things which explain things well for *some people* (no style works for everybody at all levels).  So I was looking for a way to do something useful, and spent the early afternoon refining this.

Perhaps there could be a win/win if as Steve suggests there as an area of the wiki and/or forum which was clearly labeled something unthreatening like "Wizards Workshop" where the semi-technical information such as this could be put - there could be a sticky up front which warns non-technical people that they DO NOT NEED to read or understand this to play in our playground.  This segregation might support the legitimate goal of not intimidating new or less technical users in any way.  People could find it accidentally on a search, but since the information is already available that risk is already there.

Alternately, maybe I could remove the most technical parts, and make a wiki article with the rest.

I'm trying to help here, not to step on toes.  How can I be constructive?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, by Zeph »

Offline Zeph

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, »
I no nothing about the combiner, but the passive hub for me is used to send pixelnet to a several remote SSCs using only one cat5 cable and then splitting off to 4 SSCs.  You must however provide a separate 12v power source to the passive hub or run a cable from the active hub 12v option output to the 12v input on the passive hub.  So for me it is a way to save on putting 4 long cables up to my roof and using just two - an ethernet for pixelnet signals and an spt2 cord for the 12v power.

Thanks for explaining that.  So it would be between a port on the active hub and multiple SSCs, and would both split the signal and also inject separately supplied power to go out to those SSCs.

Offline Zeph

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, »
I'm a Christmas light kind of guy.  I just like pictures.  ;D

Yeah, I understand that.  Actually my goals was to make this into a picture, but I need to be sure that the underlying stuff is correct. 

A good diagram is like the visible part of an iceberg, but it doesn't show above the surface without the underwater part to float it.  This was partially intended to get the underwater parts right.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, »
Whoa,

I was not offended nor did I not like it. I just feel it gets into stuff deeper than needed to fit dla style.

I know some members feel we need it but I do not.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, »
how's this?

Updated Document is here!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Zeph

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, »
Nice!

Another overview in a different style - and with pictures!

Any chance of that doc being added to the pixelnet section of the wiki?

That document would have helped me a lot.  I would still have been left with some questions of the sort that my pass above addresses (I tend to do better when I grasp the underlying dynamics), but for others I think that doc really hits the mark, and for anybody it provides another facet of the pixelnet gem.  Thanks1

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, »
3 things.

On the rigid strips, the female connector points toward the controller.

Stranded cat5 is only required between the hub and controller - where it is carrying power. The other cat5 cables can be solid, but you must be careful not to confuse them...

I'm not sure about the statements regarding the passive hub. I don't think you can get away with cascading them (plugging a passive hub into a passive hub), and i think you can use the passive hub without an active hub.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, »
I marked the errors in the last post, but forgot to say Thank You for putting it together. It's a very good description.

The description that started this thread is also very good. I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so I like to see all the technical stuff, but I also understand RJ's desire to keep the discussions on the site more accessible to everyone. Maybe we need a new category at the top level - Tech speak for the geeks...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, »
3 things.

On the rigid strips, the female connector points toward the controller.

Stranded cat5 is only required between the hub and controller - where it is carrying power. The other cat5 cables can be solid, but you must be careful not to confuse them...

I'm not sure about the statements regarding the passive hub. I don't think you can get away with cascading them (plugging a passive hub into a passive hub), and i think you can use the passive hub without an active hub.

RM
the passive hub can be daisy chained into other passive hubs, as other the pixelnet is being sent. as far as the power, you have to supply power to each passive hub as it doesn't get carried.

In another smart string post, RJ has mentioned that you need the active hub (as of this writing), to be able to use the 4 port passive hubs.

No on the four port since that is not its primary role. It is for splitting a already existing hubs output in to four.

The 16 port passive that is coming out next will have passthrough for the pixelnet. It will not be active repeating so there is some limits on it but they are minor and having to do with how many can chain and how far they can go.

RJ
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, »
how's this?
on pg 1 you might mention that a channel can also be a single color of a multicolor LED instead of stating only an individual LED.

On pg6 you state that the passive hub must have its own 12v power supply.  I believe that is incorrect.  It must have a 12v input source, but as I understand it you can feed it using the 12v opt jacks from the active hub. I have put a meter on the opt power input jacks and have measured 12v.  Of course one must be aware that the total power draw of all nodes connected to the hub ps must be taken into consideration.  In my case most of my SSCs use less than 70 nodes, and I am not even using all 16 ports, so I am not pushing capacity.  I use additional SSCs because of physical geometry requirements of my display.   Too much work to figure out where to start and stop a display element in the middle of a string and it fouls up the use of string mode for a single color choice on one display element.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA