Author Topic: Is a 4 port hub required if you are only running one string?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline zaccutt

Quick question before I buy!

Thanks a lot.

Zac

Offline zaccutt

Wait a minute, do you actually need an active hub to run them and passive is for adding on?

Wish I read more before, I've been focusing on the expresses lol.

Zac

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Zac,

The active 16 port hub and the passive 16 port hub is a splitter for the SSCs along with a power injector. The other function is to select which universe the SSCs are on. The active 16 port hub also adds a DMX output.

Which dongle are you using? EtherDongle or USB Dongle. The USB Dongle of course will only be one pixelnet universe while the EtherDongle is 4 pixelnet universes.

Rick R.

oops, The 4 port hub is really a expander for the 16 port hub. Think it as a way to run one cat 5 cable from the 16 port hub and then split that out for 3 more SSCs. Of course you also need to add power at the 4 port hub (12v dc) to power up the SSCs

clear as mud?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zaccutt

Alright I'm getting it haha! I will use an ether dongle when I can get in a co-op. So why would I need a dmx output? Is it to run off of LOR by chance? Otherwise I can just grab a passive 16 and an SSC for my setup.

Zac

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
If the etherdongle is to be used with a smart string (SSC) then the firmware needs to be pixelnet and to use the LE which is DMX you will need the active 16 port to control the LEs. Assuming of course the etherdongle is suppose to control the SSC and LE.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline zaccutt

K wait, if LOR software will run LEs and LOR boards in my set up, can we just piggy back the hub off of an output on a lor controller? I want to use lor to run the SSs if possible also.

Thanks again!

Zac

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Sorry I know nothing about LOR hardware/software

I don't think they support pixelnet that is required to use the SSC

Rick R.

Offline tbone321

Ok, a couple of quick replies.  Yes, you will need a minimum of 4 port hub for power injection for the smart strings.  While the 16 port hubs are what was designed for this, the 4 port would work in the implementation that you suggested.  As for LOR, it can control the Express because they have implemented DMX.  The poblem is that SSC's don't work with DMX, they require PixelNet so unless LOR decides to implement that as well, you will need a controller that works with it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zaccutt

Ok well I might as well get the 16 to prep for the future haha. And so lor can control the LEs with no further hardware; not even a dongle thru dmx?

Thanks a lot
Zac

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I used a 4 port passive hub as a way to accept a pixelnet signal from the active hub (no power via the cat5) to a distant location ... Where I would then inject 12v power from a $8 ray waterproof power supply and then run some SS nodes from there (but limited by the power injected locally).

The passive hubs take pixelnet in ( not Dmx ) and allow you to inject power (or run a dedicated spt2 power cord) as opposed to having power injected over long distances on a cat5.  I think over 100' runs may be candidates for passive hubs, because cat5 isn't really rated to carry power long distances.

It also gives options for potentially reducing the load on the active  power supply.

So if you were doing a rgb roofline, you might use passive hubs to distribute the power more easily, potentially. Just an example.

There are some misleading comments in this thread.  Don't bother using lor if your going to run smart strings, use Xlights, lisp or vixen.

If you want to sequence with lor, fine, just replace the lor scheduler / show player ... with Xlights and your in business.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]