Author Topic: Powering pixels from marine battery?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Zeph

Powering pixels from marine battery?
« on: August 26, 2012, »
Has anybody here powered their pixels from a 12V lead acid battery (like a deep discharge marine battery)?

I was thinking to power around 100 pixels, of the recommended type from the Wiki:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My thinking so far:

If powered directly by the battery, the pixels would need to withstand up to around 13.8v (when none or few were lit and the battery was fully charged). but this would drop as the battery discharges, and with higher loads (all LEDs on full).

Alternately, one could use an LDO regulator (around 3 amps draw for the above string), or a DC-DC power supply but it would probably need to be buck-boost to handle input and output voltage so close to each other.  Any suggestions for either of these?

Any other ideas, refinements, or especially experience?

(I would use 12v-5v regulator or PS for the driving electronics as needed; this is about powering the pixels per se).

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Powering pixels from marine battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, »
I never noticed that the Voltage toerance is missing from the specs.

You should ask Ray if he could provide those specs and update the page details.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, »
I would not do it if a charger was attached. Someone did this and told me it was fine. They will run a little warmer so keep that in mind but the member said it worked fine.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, »
Any reason why you don't want to power the nodes from the hub?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, »
You may be able to use a set up inverter do. Just to keep it at a the correct voltage. If that is what your worried about. Doesn't take alot of watts away from your battery system. Is it a battery only system or you going to have a charging system working with the battery?
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline Zeph

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, »
The context is a multi-day group summer campout with a big tent (dome actually) as common space.  People have been complaining about the noise of a generator (not mine) providing the lights at night.  I thought I could make use of my (to be purchased soon) Christmas pixels strings for this, quietly powering them from a 12v deep cycle battery - and having fun with some colors and lighting effects as well.

(I was actually thinking to maybe prsent it as a simple light with variable brightness and perhaps color like a dumb RGB string - but then have it slowly begin injecting a brief chase or other pixel based effects late at night, and play with people's minds a little bit.  I want somebody to avidly tell me about the really strange glitches they only occassionally saw in the lights, while I look dubious with a staight face.  I don't think my fellow campers know about individually controllable pixels so I might pull this off for a while).

I could avoid using a battery charger at the same time the lights are connected (since it would raise the voltage above 14V, most likely).  I might be able to recharge the battery during daylight, if it runs down too much.  However, I think I can get three nights worth of light from the battery without recharging, if I'm reasonably efficient.

Going from 12 VDC to an 120 VAC inverter, and then a 120 VAC to 12VDC power supply would not be very efficient, so I'm looking for all DC power options - direct connection, DC-DC converter, LDO regulator - and hoping for some experience, product suggestions, or other community brilliance.

RJ says someone did this and said it worked fine (I'm assuming "did this" means direct connection to the battery, which is the simplest option).  I'm hoping that psrson might see this thread and give us an update.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, »
I have used a 12v to 110v inverter with Express. That worked fine. I'm working on using lithuim batteries 40 amp at 12.8 to 16 amps. I have to power a amplifier and speakers. I found if your using a Sequence on and off lights I used about one third the power. So lets say 9 amps would be only 3 amps being used total per hour. I plan on using a setup inverter that is going to keep the voltage at the maximum level all the time. I am only using about 6 to 8 amps total per hour. So I will not run out of correct voltage or amps. So if the max is 14 volts I would get one that will take 12 to 16 volts but out put will be a steady 14 voltages. I found one I may to use just for my amplifier tao 24v t 12v to. You could get a 24v and take it down to 14v. But check on the top voltage is first.  Don't let your watts go to low there will start to dim. That is if your using Smart string lights. Just a option you could use only led lights to start with get you sequence down on them then play around with the RGB Smart strings. The LED lights are going to alot quicker and easer with low very wattage. You could us both to SSC and LED. You could use a solar charger for you battery. Letting charge up when not in use. But for sure get a battery with alot more amps then you need. Be careful with car and marine batteries. There have two different specs. Battery have start up apps or cranking amps and full total amps. There cranks amps show larger then the slow full drawing amps.

Hope thank helps.

Mort
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.