Author Topic: Floods on this house?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline DanHouston

Floods on this house?
« on: February 12, 2013, »
Any thoughts?

2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

sjb

Re: Floods on this house?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, »
Chop down a few trees >:D

Steve

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, »
Looks like some trimming will be involved. The lanscaping will definatly be illuminated, I would take a flood that is used for the aethers before you tear it apart and plug it in and see what it looks like.( IF that is what you will use ) You can also grab some of the flood housings that they sell in seasonal  that have stakes on the bottom and set a couple out

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Looks like some trimming will be involved. The lanscaping will definatly be illuminated, I would take a flood that is used for the aethers before you tear it apart and plug it in and see what it looks like.( IF that is what you will use ) You can also grab some of the flood housings that they sell in seasonal  that have stakes on the bottom and set a couple out

Good idea....just not sure where...I guess the walls between some of the trees, but if the trees have lights on them it may be too washed out.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, »
you try wall washers too
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, »
After some trimming These are some areas I would start with. Hopefully the floods would reflect off the building

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, »
Rather than trimming trees and using floods, what I 've seen that's works well are using CCRs / flex ribbons along a wall to light it up. Tuck them under the gutters and point them towards the wall if you don't want your audience to see where the light comes from.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, »
do you have a pic with your show setup?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, »
Not my show...not my house :) My Dad got started last year and we are looking to share sequences going forward so was trying to layout his yard with some similar elements to mine. My house works well with floods, but not sure his would (not that it will be a huge deal)....Just thought I'd see what others thought.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, »
Since it looks like most of the trees, etc. are a little ways away from the house you could use floods up next to the house but you might require more of them to get "even" coverage. You could also hang them from the soffit pointing back at the wall.  The idea of using either smart strings or dumb strings mounted in PVC pipes attached to the soffit pointed back to the walls would give great coverage and might be the cheapest option.
Jeff Squires

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, »
Since it looks like most of the trees, etc. are a little ways away from the house you could use floods up next to the house but you might require more of them to get "even" coverage. You could also hang them from the soffit pointing back at the wall.  The idea of using either smart strings or dumb strings mounted in PVC pipes attached to the soffit pointed back to the walls would give great coverage and might be the cheapest option.

If you did use dumb strings, you could still share that element by making sure the dumb string channel numbers were programmed for the same channels as you used for your floods.  might take some coordination between the two of you, but I think it would be the easiest way to give you even coverage across the walls without having to do any prunning just for lights during two months. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, »
Since it looks like most of the trees, etc. are a little ways away from the house you could use floods up next to the house but you might require more of them to get "even" coverage.

+1  I like mine up close...  No substitute for setting one up and trying it a few different ways and seeing it with your own eyes. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."