Author Topic: How do you store your lights?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
How do you store your lights?
« on: January 08, 2011, »
I havent done a light show this year, So my use has been inside lighting, decorative (+ the tree of course) and with my project that I built for this here using a Parallel 12 on/off controller.  Up till now, I didn't have a need to store a lot of lights.

So now after the post-Christmas sales which i stocked up on, I bought 14 "Snaplock Light Wrap Boxes" from Wal-Mart for my storage, I hope it's enough. And I bought a P-Touch labeler so I can mark the boxes for which type is inside.  I know some of you guys have a lot of lights 30,000+ lights.   So I was wondering...

How do you store your lights?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

Re: How do you store your lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, »
Also, those of you that's been in walmart recently, you'll see a lot of those plastic "tins" for cookies that don't seem to be selling...   I've figured that they can hold my c7 / C9 lights, and i can store them by color. I take my bulbs off the strings, so i can store the strings seperatly, and they fit in my light boxes better. plus I can see what colors i have quickly, with out pulling out lots of strings.

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, »
I use zip lock bags.  I put one string in each bag.  I usually just stuff them in.  Then I can put the bags into a larger container, box, etc.  I can write on the bags what the lights are and when I take them out each strand is separated.  I find if a strand doesn't quite fit, I don't need to zip the bag shut, just being in the bag keeps them separated.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, »
I roll mine in a ball and store them in 55 gallon plastic drums. I have to add wheels to the drums next. For now I just use a dolly to move the drums around. Can easily get a picture if anyone is interested.
Thanks
Mike

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, »
Bankers boxes ... wife moves offices a lot and some spare boxes can migrate home with no problem. They stack well and gotta love the price.

\dmc

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, »
Role em up.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, »
Did all your lights fit on that one roll? What do you do with them after they get rolled it up? Do they go into a container? If not, don't they get dusty?

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, »
Last year I think there were about  3 or 4 roles.  We had 108 strings from the mega tree and 135 wrapped on trees.  It's all pvc except for 2 1/2'  of 1/4 round steel in the center.  When you are done you unload a real and put a new one on.

Just remember to start with the male end of the plug.  This way the female plug is the last one on the end of the string and you won't try to plug the real in. Don't ask me why I'm giving this tip. :)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, »
Store them????  You mean you can use them for more than one season!!!!
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, »
We have about 1000 strings in the display.    The only thing that gets new lights each year is the mega tree.  Everything else I like to get 2 - 3 years out of.

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, »
My megatree has 64 strings. When I took it down this year, I bought 16 Sterilite 15L boxes at Walmart. Each bundle of 4 strings went in a separate box. Will make setup faster next year.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, »
I coil each string up and then use some sort of "twisty" (like a bread tie) to tie up the coil.  Then I put them in Rubbermaid totes.  I use a medium size tote and you can get a lot of strings in each one.  I have been doing this for years.  It is cheap and virtually eliminates tangling between different strings.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, »
I put each stran in a plastic pag from wal-mart/targat or wherever I buy stuff. Recycle!!!
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, »
What about net lights? How do you guys store them?

Offline magic8192

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, »
I roll my lights up into a ball and store them in totes.  I sort the totes by color and type.  I write on the outside of the tote what is in it.   Most of my lights are 100 ct mini lights that I paid about 60 cents a string for.