Author Topic: How do you store your lights?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline mitch09

Re: How do you store your lights?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, »
Jeff,

Do you happen to have some drawings or dimensions for that roller? How does it come apart to load in another roll? What size pvc?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, »
A picture is all I have.   I might be able to find a larger picture with more detail.  I do recall the real was about 22" wide.  Too small and you don't get enough lights on the real and too wide and it can sag in the middle when it gets full.

I might also be able to get some basic measurements this weekend as I still have one full real in the garage.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, »
Thanks that would be great! I still have piles of lights in my garage and need a new way to store them. I thought about taking your design and sizing it to fit into a 5-gallon bucket. That way I could put the lid on and stack them! Do you think this would work? I guess I am just wondering about the design of the roller itself, pvc size, etc.

Ryan

Offline CB

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, »
I buy the plastic extension cord storage flat reels (for some reason they are 1/4 the price if they are antyhing but green in color.  For small lights I use a piece of 1/4" luan plywood that I cut a crowsmouth in each end (a deep V) and wrap them around that.  I also put a small bit of styrofoam (normally from kids presents) on the bottom of each tote to cushion any lights from shock/breakage.

Then I store each reel in a rubbermaid tote and label each box with a number; then I use Excel to track which lights or decor are in each box.  Then from that I have an inventory list so each year I can plan my things out which makes setup easier as well as my targeted post-holiday sale shopping.  The list I have made automatically links to other sheets to help me with my next display and shows me what needs I have after the inventory of an item is depleted.  I have also added the amperage draw from each item so I can use that when factoring channel loads.

My mega tree is broken into pieces and attached via pulley to my garage ceiling (above the door opener and rails).  My mini trees (tomato cages with chicken wire attached and any figures or other decor all get placed in a storage closet in my basement and then I put a hasp on the door to keep small hands (my kids and their friends) from getting into them.

CB