Author Topic: RGB strings  (Read 1556 times)

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
RGB strings
« on: January 18, 2012, »
I want to do a 14ft mega tree with 8 strings  ... Is there somewhere cheaper to get rgb strings than raywu? I don't wanna pay 280.04 for the 8 of his 50ct strings.

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
Re: RGB strings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, »
Hi!

You have a cheaper option with the pre-sale over at DIY Led Express ($20 for 50 RGB nodes)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, »
ok those are "dumb" do i just attach the ssc to it and it becomes a SS?

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, »
Ah, ok, you meant rgb pixels/nodes... I thought you meant just dumb string.

No, you can't use those as individual pixels. They do have pixels looking the same for $30/string of 50.

Dunno which works out cheaer tho.. if you reckon with shipping etc.

/Stefan
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, »
If its American then most definately cheaper shipping ray wu is half the price of the order from what i saw

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, »
They do not work with SSC's

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, »
A 50 ct string that I have here only measures 12ft from the 1st node to the last node.  I could probably stretch it a little tighter and get a little more length, but by my calc you would need about a 15ft lighted string to do a 14 ft tree.  I do not have a SS megatree and do not plan to do one, but last year I had 32 strings of LEDs and this year I had 64 strings of LEDs.  I thought my 32 string tree looked skimpy and IMHO I would not even attempt an 8 string megatree with any kind of lights.  But your goals and mileage may vary.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »
i wanna just have something to flex my legs with rgbs. I know it would look skimpy but i could add some regular led lights to fill in till i can get the cash to buy more strings.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, by devoidelk »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
i wanna just have something to flex my legs with rgbs. I know it would look skimpy but i could add some regular led lights to fill in till i can get the cash to buy more strings.

The most fun and most interesting thing I did with SS this year was to build PVC frames to fit my 4 front windows and then taped the SS nodes to the PVC using white duct tape.  With those up I did chases around the window frames in different colors, Did two chases at once in different directions and put them all on using the random function in Vixen.  I also learned how to sequence them so that every other bulb was a different color, i.e., alternating red and green or blue and white, etc.  That would be my recommendation for getting your feet wet and learning about RGB pixels.  My window frames only need 64 nodes each so not even to costly.  I also put SS nodes on my gutters but mostly used string mode for those, but it was nice to be able to change the color depending on what else was going on in the sequence.  Megatrees are hard enough to do without making it your learning environment for RGB.

edited for spelling
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
Jim,

I did somewhat the same thing with my static colors in the past and will apply this to the RGBs when I get them.  I used 1x2" boards and created a frame for each of my windows.  I then used a bolt/screw that has a wood screw on one half and machine screw on the other.  Screwed the machine side into the window frame leaving it there year round for Halloween and Christmas.  When the time comes I put the frame up and use a washer and wing nut to secure.  This makes life easier for setup and tear down and seems to protect the lights better when in storage.

Mark - Georgia
- Mark

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, »
I thought about also getting the monster faces from holidaycoro.com and use rgbs in them so that i can change the color scheme for halloween to christmas without taking them apart.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, »
I thought about also getting the monster faces from holidaycoro.com and use rgbs in them so that i can change the color scheme for halloween to christmas without taking them apart.

Todd, Just as an FYI the HolidayCoro Monster faces are punched to accept standard M5 mini lights.
Unless you had some mini RGB modules that would not work.

Although it is a cool idea.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline devoidelk

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, »
You can modify the face and drill out the holes.... :) power tools ftw