Author Topic: Solder tip size recommendations?  (Read 977 times)

Offline jshack01

Solder tip size recommendations?
« on: January 21, 2012, »
I've ordered my first Dongle and Express board and I can't wait to get started.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on solder tip sizes?  I thought I would use this opportunity to get a decent setup but I had no idea there were so many choices out there?  Any advice?

Thanks,
John

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Solder tip size recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, »
the smaller the tip, the more control you have, but i believe the tips wear faster.
bigger tips work well on places with lots of metal surface area, triacs middle leg, heatsinks that get soldered on, and fuse holders.

i'd reccomend getting one of those packs, where they have different sized tips to play around with.  you'll find one you like.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, »
As Chris said, smaller tips warm up faster and give more control but they also have less heat transfer capability.  To compensate, many turn the heat up which causes faster wear of the tip.  I would also suggest picking up a few different sizes to determine which one works the best for you. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, »
Use the pencil tip working on the chip sockets and the other small solder joints.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, »
I use a 30 watt iron for the most part myself.  It does work on the bigger connections like triacs but can be tricky.  Sometimes a 40 watt iron can be much depending on the tip you have.

Get a couple different sizes and experiment.  Everyone is different.  That's part of the DIY experience!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, »
I have a lot of different tip sizes.  I use a fine point on on my model railroad stuff, but I use "chisel / screwdriver" tips for my Lynx solder.  A small one for most stuff and ideally a bigger one when doing the things like triacs and fuse holders, etc.  But the reality is that mostly I just use the small chisel tip and turn the iron up hotter on the bigger items.  Too much time to cool off the iron and then change tips and wait for it to reheat.  But I tin all my cords for the LEs and SSR4s and for those batch jobs I do put in a bigger tip.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, »
How do you know hen to replace a tip?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, »
when you don't want to use whatever shape it is anymore. like a fine tip point will wear down and get thicker as you work your way up the point.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, »
I think I use a 1.6 mm for most everything. An assortment is nice to have.  Order a few if you buy a station.  I have a 3.2 or 5mm (not sure) that I use for soldering wire together and things like fuse lugs.

I started with a Radio Shack pencil and was buying tips every other week it seamed like.  Since I bought a solder station, I think I have used the same tip and built over 35 Lynx/LOR controllers.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, »
I ordered a variety of tips, but found most to be way too big for most of the soldering on these kits.  I ended up this tip, which i liked because it worked well on the smaller parts.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, »
Over all the best tip to use is how big the solder trace is you are trying to solder.