Author Topic: Laptop power supplies  (Read 1652 times)

Offline DanHouston

Laptop power supplies
« on: February 16, 2012, »
I have a couple of old laptop power supplies that are 12v 5.8amp that I was considering using for some RGB nodes  I am planning to add this year. I have two questions:

1) I assume since they are 12v power supplies and the nodes I have are 12v then as long as I keep the draw under 5.8 amps they should be just fine?
2) How weatherproof is a laptop power supply? They ok to lay in the yard exposed to the elements? (not planning to stick them underwater or anything but will rain bother them?)

Thanks!

-Dan
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline angus40

Re: Laptop power supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, »
There is no electronics that like exposure to the elements , seal them up in an enclosure as you would your controller .

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a couple of old laptop power supplies that are 12v 5.8amp that I was considering using for some RGB nodes  I am planning to add this year. I have two questions:

1) I assume since they are 12v power supplies and the nodes I have are 12v then as long as I keep the draw under 5.8 amps they should be just fine?

If you keep the draw under the max output then you should be ok but remember that evenn these supplies have what is called a duty cycle.  This means that is is capable of giving max output for a given period of time and these ratings are seldom at 100%.  If you keep the demand at 80% of max you should be able to run them that way all night long.

2) How weatherproof is a laptop power supply? They ok to lay in the yard exposed to the elements? (not planning to stick them underwater or anything but will rain bother them?)

Computer power supplies are not designed with the outdoors in mind.  They will need to be protected from the elements.

Thanks!

-Dan
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Laptop power supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, »
The waterproof power supplies ray sells are enough for a ss item and are like $7 each
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, »
There is no electronics that like exposure to the elements , seal them up in an enclosure as you would your controller .

They are in a plastic case already, but you think it needs another case around that?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, »
The waterproof power supplies ray sells are enough for a ss item and are like $7 each

Yeah, I've seen the waterproof ones and may go that way, was just wondering how a laptop power supply would hold up.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, »
I think if you threw it in a couple plastic bags, you'd probably be fine ... provided it doesn't rain.  Here in Colorado, the rain is non issue and humidity is also a non issue.

You could probably throw it in a large PVC pipe or tupperware container and just silicone the wires.  Most of those solutions work for me, but depending on your location, YMMV.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, »
I think if you threw it in a couple plastic bags, you'd probably be fine ... provided it doesn't rain.  Here in Colorado, the rain is non issue and humidity is also a non issue.

You could probably throw it in a large PVC pipe or tupperware container and just silicone the wires.  Most of those solutions work for me, but depending on your location, YMMV.

Ok. I was thinking the plastic box it is already in would be sufficient...Thanks for the suggestions.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, »
Seriously... posts like this almost makes me faint due to the fact that I'm trained as an electrician once upon a time.

And all I can say is. Do NOT, EVER under ANY circumstances consider using something that is NOT classified as waterproof outside if it uses electricity. Sure, it says 12 volt at one end. The other end however says 110 volts if your in the US, and even worse for us in EU or AUS, 220 volts.

Bottom line, respsect electricity, use waterproof stuff (preferebly IP68 class) or make sure you put your non waterproof stuff in waterproof containers. I don't care if you are in the middle of the fricking desert. There is always the problem with moistiure buildup.

So to sum it up... Rather safe than sorry...

/Stefan

[/RANTOFF]
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline rimist

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, »
I have to agree that they are definitely not suited for outdoor use. If you do go this route please be sure they are in a water tight container and elevated to protect from puddles, be they from rain or pooch lifting their leg.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, »
Oh no, I better sell my indoor 120v christmas light strings that I have used for years outside... 8)
Leesburg, FL

Offline comporder1

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, »
umm I think most people understand the effects of electricity  <fp.

On a more technical note, a lot of times supplies that are intended for battery charging will have current sensing/limiting built in. It may not work like you intend. Just a heads up.

Carey

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, »
Seriously... posts like this almost makes me faint due to the fact that I'm trained as an electrician once upon a time.

And all I can say is. Do NOT, EVER under ANY circumstances consider using something that is NOT classified as waterproof outside if it uses electricity. Sure, it says 12 volt at one end. The other end however says 110 volts if your in the US, and even worse for us in EU or AUS, 220 volts.

Bottom line, respsect electricity, use waterproof stuff (preferebly IP68 class) or make sure you put your non waterproof stuff in waterproof containers. I don't care if you are in the middle of the fricking desert. There is always the problem with moistiure buildup.

So to sum it up... Rather safe than sorry...

/Stefan

[/RANTOFF]

I agree with you there.  I live in the desert.  This year every cord I used in my display had water build up the entire month of December.  Water exists in every environment.  Wrap any open ends that may exist on the store bought lights.

Mike OUT!
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, »
If you want to wrap every open cord receptacle end ... then do so.  I would not argue its not better.  But I don't spend my time on that stuff ... and no problems ... I've got miles of cords, most of which are 3 receptacle SPT2 indoor cords ... and mostly not wrapped or sealed ...  and 16 GFCI(s) and not a single trip ...  in 4 years.

Offline thestig

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, »
I don't wrap my cord connections either, I just try and keep them off of the ground. I live in Oregon where it rains everyday. No GFI trips at all. However, I would put laptop PSU's in a sealed case, that's a completely different story.

Grant