Author Topic: coro other ideas...  (Read 4897 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: coro other ideas...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, »
I finally cut my first pieces tonight.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, »
Nice! it looks like you have enough pixels to light them.  ;)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, »
i have 139 plastic rectangles, and 20 metal squares

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, »
That should be enough for those two pieces.. ;D

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, »
I really like DIY and plan to make some of my own coro stuff this year.  Some things I am curious about you guys using coro are you using regular coro on top as a lens?  My testing so far leads me to believe that we should just use one side or half thickness for the face/lens for rgb.  Full thickness affects output too much.  Also, is hot glue really a good coro adhesive?  As a woodworker I will probably still use exterior primed ply as the base and hot glue and staple sides and lens on top.  Kinda thinking about using screws so I can gain access if need be but I really hope rgb will be relatively maintenance free.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, »
when i looked at fasteddy's version of the candy cane, it looked like two pieces of coro in a "plastic rectangle sandwich" (has no sides)

i cut the candy cane and star to play around with this. and might staple some pieces to act as spacers to play around with this.

this is my first attempt at this stuff, so i'll see what happens. i got the 10pk of 4mm 18" x 24" pieces from usplastic.

Offline John K

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, »
You could try contacting Holiday Coro and see if they can scale the snowflake down for you.  IIRC, they make custom pieces and what would be easier than scaling down an existing piece.
last summer David (Holidaycoro.com) showed a coro candycane.  with baffles for each diagonal line it looked very nice.  I'm hoping that he productizes it soon.

I had David make those candy canes for me.  Glad to see he is making them available. I had Ray make the rectangle nodes with a 8" length between each.  Ray only charged .05 for each node .  That's dirt cheap as it took me over an hour to cut and add lengths between each for my prototype.   

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, »
I really like DIY and plan to make some of my own coro stuff this year.  Some things I am curious about you guys using coro are you using regular coro on top as a lens?  My testing so far leads me to believe that we should just use one side or half thickness for the face/lens for rgb.  Full thickness affects output too much.  Also, is hot glue really a good coro adhesive?  As a woodworker I will probably still use exterior primed ply as the base and hot glue and staple sides and lens on top.  Kinda thinking about using screws so I can gain access if need be but I really hope rgb will be relatively maintenance free.
I am using 5050 strip inside of uncut coro for my Merry Christmas sign and it is really bright. I am using the 60 per meter strip though. Maybe with 30/meter it may help to go half side. The hot glue works great. On every corner of the strip where I had to solder pieces together, I laid a big bead of hot glue to seal the wires and also glue the strip to the piece of coro. (the glue strip on the back would be enough) I run a bead to glue the pieces together and then after it bonds, run a second bead on the outside edge to completely water proof the piece. I am using non waterproof 5050 strip though. If using waterproof, you could just make a "sandwich" as Eddy did.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, »
does anybody know if the cor can be painted?
i was thinking of maybe using black paint as a mask around the object, and still lighting it from the back.

also i get my coro from usplastic, and for normal shipping, they have 18x24inch but it's only in black.
anybody know where to get black sheets, or other colors that aren't full sheets?
full sheets require freight shipping.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, »

I am using 5050 strip inside of uncut coro for my Merry Christmas sign and it is really bright. I am using the 60 per meter strip though. Maybe with 30/meter it may help to go half side. The hot glue works great. On every corner of the strip where I had to solder pieces together, I laid a big bead of hot glue to seal the wires and also glue the strip to the piece of coro. (the glue strip on the back would be enough) I run a bead to glue the pieces together and then after it bonds, run a second bead on the outside edge to completely water proof the piece. I am using non waterproof 5050 strip though. If using waterproof, you could just make a "sandwich" as Eddy did.

Steve your sign is awesome!  No doubt the 60/meter is plenty bright.  I plan to use mostly the rectangular modules so I am testing stuff.

I get it now.  On Fasteddys canes the modules are basically mounted directly underneath the coro.  Those are wickedly cool BTW!  I prefer the diffused look when modules mounted to base and lens is about 3" from modules.  Kinda like fasteddys candles and the holiday coro stuff.  My goals are window frames and a smaller scale northstar. 

Not sure if this will help everyone but I went here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and found a distributor about an hour away who was cool and full sheets 4x8 were only $11! 

I guess you can paint coro if it was "corona treated" haven't tried it myself but typical signs are screened on so it should take paint. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, »
Has anyone worked with other colors yet?

Wondering what green, blue, orange, purple, would look like.

If so, any pictures/videos to show off?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, »

Steve your sign is awesome!  No doubt the 60/meter is plenty bright.  I plan to use mostly the rectangular modules so I am testing stuff.

I get it now.  On Fasteddys canes the modules are basically mounted directly underneath the coro.  Those are wickedly cool BTW!  I prefer the diffused look when modules mounted to base and lens is about 3" from modules.  Kinda like fasteddys candles and the holiday coro stuff.  My goals are window frames and a smaller scale northstar. 

Not sure if this will help everyone but I went here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and found a distributor about an hour away who was cool and full sheets 4x8 were only $11! 

I guess you can paint coro if it was "corona treated" haven't tried it myself but typical signs are screened on so it should take paint.
I called the distributors in the Chicago area and the best price I got was 55.00 for a 4x8 sheet. I ordered pieces from this place, it was the cheapest I found..

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, »
I"m sure this has been mentioned before but just in case it hasn't, go to sign shops, and they usually have left over pieces, and standard sizes:18x24, 4'x8 ect. If they are leftovers, sometimes you can get them for almost nothing. I have also painted the coro with plastic spraypaint

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, »
Wow. $55 is expensive. My local sign shop charges $15 per sheet.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
coro other ideas...
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, »
My local shop is 12 per 4x8 sheet.  They have several colors in stock as well.  Who needs some?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."