Author Topic: Display Security  (Read 2716 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Display Security
« on: August 04, 2012, »
was just thinking of an idea tonight while i was watering my garden in the dark...   

for most security cameras, the IR leds that are in the camera usually don't "shine" far enough to effectivly light up the yard with IR light to record well.

so i was thining, what about incorperating "always on" IR leds for nighttime throughout the display.

With the area being lit up locally (near/at the element)  that should provide enough IR illumination for the cameras to record.

thoughts?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Display Security
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, »
IR LED's are ok from what I find in my setup.  I find regular lights are the best however.  I have some cameras that will show color at night when the garage lights are on.  Lights also deter problems. 

My neighbor has LED floods on a motion sensor that are very bright.  I would like to integrate them into my setup and turn them on at night.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, »
For my Halloween display I built two portable floodlight setups that have a motion sensor and just plug them in and set them so anyone entering the yard causes the flood to come on (pointed so as to not bother my neighbors) I do know several people that run professional haunted houses and put "IR panels" up to extend the range of there security cameras.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, »
I wouldn't waste my tome with IR camera's.  The purpose of those is to catch someone in the act but isn't the real purpose to prevent the act in the first place?  If you want to go the camera route then I would put them where they are easy to see, cover what you want to protect, and hard to get to.  Then I would use regular floods with motion sensors to light the place up if someone comes onto your property.  Nothing like bright lights and camera's to make some rethink their actions. 

I use my X-10 system for this.  It keeps the floods off when the Holiday lights are on and activates them when the Holiday lights are shut down for the night.  Since many of my floods are X-10 lights, they send a signal when they turn on and I have the system turn on an inside light during these times that is visible from the street a few seconds later so it looks like I am coming to see what is going on even if I am sound asleep.  Thinking that someone is coming out is even more of a deterrent. 

If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline meman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, »
A motorized turret with laser guided, motion detecting paintball gun to mark the offenders sounds like a way fun DIY project. Lots of project videos if you Google this topic.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, »
with glow in the dark, paint, right?   haha
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, »
I thought I was the only one paranoid.  I have a Samsung DVR/IR cameras and lock my devices inside a box. No way to get the box as it is part of of my mega tree base and has a access door on the back that is locked. The cameras look at thsi part closely. I only have SSR4's exposed in and around the yard. I also have motion lights that I turn on when I go to bed. I have a large Bur Oak tree that sheds its' big leaves.  I don't bother to rake them until after Christmas.  The leaves hide wiring and devices not locked up. I had a problem one year with someone vandalizing my display.  It is a shame that folks act this way when it is for everyones enjoyment.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, »
I wouldn't waste my tome with IR camera's.  The purpose of those is to catch someone in the act but isn't the real purpose to prevent the act in the first place?  If you want to go the camera route then I would put them where they are easy to see, cover what you want to protect, and hard to get to.  Then I would use regular floods with motion sensors to light the place up if someone comes onto your property.  Nothing like bright lights and camera's to make some rethink their actions. 

I use my X-10 system for this.  It keeps the floods off when the Holiday lights are on and activates them when the Holiday lights are shut down for the night.  Since many of my floods are X-10 lights, they send a signal when they turn on and I have the system turn on an inside light during these times that is visible from the street a few seconds later so it looks like I am coming to see what is going on even if I am sound asleep.  Thinking that someone is coming out is even more of a deterrent.

I used to have a house where I did the X-10 route as well. Loved it!

Have you added the electronic barking dog to your system?

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, »
is it legal to protect your display with an automated paint ball gun firing system?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, »
LOL, nope, no barking dog.  I use the lights and the X-10 system controls most of the lights in the house.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, »
+1 for leaving on some lights every night, I usually run some white incand. lights all night as part of a late-night sequence.

I have found that my best security camera is a simple black and white bullet camera which is very low lux, like .01 or .001 ... and it
sees very well with just a few lights on in the yard ... and a pretty cheap PC based DVR I got for about $60 can record up to 4 cameras
on it.  No need for IR which are way too limited in range for anything other than the smallest yards.

I'm also a big fan of the monoprice fake cameras ... that are a good deal and nice deterrent.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, »
As I am adding more to my display this year I've been thinking about this more and more. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, but getting nervous that the "cross my fingers and hope nothing gets stolen" approach may not be enough this year.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, »
May we could get RJ to build in some kinda of tracking system if an item gets stolen. LOL
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Greg

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, »
I use stainless steel trip wires connected to a fence charger.  Also floods triggered by PIR sensors. No problems yet.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....