Author Topic: Z Tree Design?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Z Tree Design?
« on: July 23, 2010, »
Hey Guys,
Alright, this year is my first year for my first computerized display, and I wanted to do a Mega Tree. I wanted something that will take few channels, but still look really cool, so I decided to go with a Z Tree. (I know I put this in the Mega Tree forum, oh well) But I was looking around and I couldn't find much on how to build one. Has anyone made a tutorial, or have pictures of one they have made. I just need something basic, nothing to fancy.
The tree is going to have 16 channels; 4 red, 4 green, 4 blue, and 4 white. It would be great if it was somewhere around 15-20 feet tall. If anyone has any ideas on how to make one, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Z Tree Design?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, »
Hi Jesse,

Is this what you are looking for?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, »
Hi Jesse,

Is this what you are looking for?

Cheers

Rick R.

This is not exactly what I am looking for. I need a Z Tree. Z Tree have "slices" that are horizontal instead of vertical like a normal Mega Tree.

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, »

Does this help any hope so

Jeff
Jeff

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, »
That helps a lot, do you think I could make one using wood. I don't have any welding skills, and do not have anyone that could weld for me. I was thinking mine could be around 10-15 feet. Would that be sturdy enough for an Indiana Christmas??

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, »
Yes, I can use a glue gun. That seems really pricey, at least to me it does. lol (I'm really cheap:D)

I thought about using a pole, and some guy wires(around 16 wires), and some chicken wire. Place the pole in the ground, hang the guy wires to the ground ,and rap the chicken wire around the guy wires, then wrap the lights around that.

I still have to test my theory, but I think it will work(hopefully).

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, »
Cool design, I saw a guy that did a similar tree from wood but only 10' tall (used decking material vice real wood).  Looked okay but lacked the polish without the garland.  Anyway,  it seems to be a great way to keep the strings of lights evenly distributed both vertically and horizontally.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline theavguy99

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, »
I had the same thought- to make a more conventional looking tree.  I wanted to make it as simple and straightforward as possible, since I don't have a lot of time and I don't have welding equipment.  I figured making it out of treated 2x4 & 2x6 material it would last for many years.  The hardest part was cutting the compound miter cuts where the 5 'legs' of the tree meet at the top.  With my yard situation, I felt there wasn't any reason to build a completely round tree, therefore I sliced it in half and only decorated the front (visible) side- this also cut my lights and material in half.  The 4 garland/light sections come off the tree and lay fairly flat for storage in the attic of my shop, while the framing of the tree breaks down and stores flat as well.  I didn't measure the height, but the tree is about 12-13' to the top, and then the star adds another 2.5' or so to that, so the whole thing is about 15' tall.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, »
This is perfect! Thanks so much. This is what I wanted.

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights