Author Topic: Heatsink/LE v4 alignment  (Read 1834 times)

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
Heatsink/LE v4 alignment
« on: September 03, 2009, »
Almost finished building the first of 3 LE's that I got in the last coop.  This is my first V4 board.  Note that I have built an LE in a kit with a V3 PCB that I won at the Carolina Mini, so this isn't my first LE.

I noticed that when I mounted the heatsink to the board, and then started trying to put in the triacs a slight alignment problem.  So I unmounted the heatsink, attached all the triacs (with HS compound), and then mounted the heatsink to the board.

When I did so, all the triacs were slightly to the right of the holes, so all the pins went in at an angle.  It won't effect the operation, but I was just curious as to if there were differences between the pre-V4 and V4 versions of the PCB and the heatsinks.

Here's a few pictures to show how they line up:
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Heatsink/LE v4 alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, »
I guess I have to talk to the machine shop that does our heatsinks. I had two that were drilled wrong to the point of not being useable and had to be replaced already out of this batch. Up to this batch we have never had issues with them so I did not expect any on this batch either. Sorry they do not line up better. I will give you one of mine if you can not use it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, »
I have spares that I can also offer if needed.

Bill

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, »
I noticed the same thing on all of mine, but they all are installed and working fine.  I was surprised that the alignment was off by that much, but not having done much of this did not know what to expect either.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, »
Glad to hear it wasn't me...

As you could see in the picture, it was still usable, just not exactly straight.

Finished that LE, and just finished with 3 EX/RX's and a standalone RX.

2 more LE's to go, but it will be tomorrow before I turn on the soldering iron again...
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, »
All of my LE's (4) from the 4th coop looked the same way...all leaning to the right.  I figured the machine shop had their fixture off when machining.  They all went together, just sideways a little.  No big deal.  It is not like they will be seen, and even if they were...so what?!??!?

-Keith

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, »
I am afriad I did not build any from the last two so I had not noticed. I will tweak it on the next batch and get them striaght.

Thanks for the input.

RJ

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, »
I will tweak it on the next batch.

RJ

Next batch?  Just say when and I'm in.   Got any idea when the next batch might start up.  I'm having too much fun with all the solder fumes to quit now and I love the wireless.  I can use a couple more units.  That has become very evident as I decided to move my controllers to some different locations now that I have more freedom.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, »
I will tweak it on the next batch.

RJ

Next batch?  Just say when and I'm in.   Got any idea when the next batch might start up.  I'm having too much fun with all the solder fumes to quit now and I love the wireless.  I can use a couple more units.  That has become very evident as I decided to move my controllers to some different locations now that I have more freedom.

About 3 1/2 weeks or so for the next and last express coop of the year. 6 in a year is enough me thinks.

RJ