Author Topic: 3 pin XLR microphone wire  (Read 777 times)

Offline urthegman

3 pin XLR microphone wire
« on: December 16, 2013, »
Can anyone tell me what actually goes bad on 3 pin XLR microphone wire, I know they are not intended for outdoor usage but it seem like the slightest bit of moisture and they are rendered useless!!! Any outdoor alternatives for them?

Offline zwiller

Re: 3 pin XLR microphone wire
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, »
Normally, one good tug on em and one of the wires will work loose.  That or moisture inside will short connections as the shell is grounded metal.  Definitely not weatherproof (or beer proof).  I would instead use a 3 core connector or 2 conductor if have em.  I remember a pinout chart in the wiki...   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, »
There are weatherproof xlr cables,  but the cheapos were never meant to be in a moist environment. The connectors are not sealed and the basic design allows a very small amount of moisture to short the pins together...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, »
Hopefully you are not using microphone wire for DMX....   Here is a blog about the differences for those who are interested:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline rm357

3 pin XLR microphone wire
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, »
Caretaker is correct. Sometimes you can get away with using a mic cable, but as you add length and additional fixtures your likelihood of having issues goes up dramatically.

It's better to use one of the pairs in a cat5 Ethernet cable - even if you stick with the xlr connectors...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, »
It's better to use one of the pairs in a cat5 Ethernet cable - even if you stick with the xlr connectors...

If you're using Cat5, use Pair 1 (white/orange, orange/white), as it is the twisted pair; if you're using Cat5e, you can use any pair, as they're all twisted.

\dmc

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, »
Both Cat5 and Cat5e have all pairs twisted.  If this were not true, then Cat5 could not be used for full duplex operations.  The difference between them is that Cat5e has tighter specs and a thicker outer jacket making it a more durable cable as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, »
I am using the wire for RGB snowtubes using Madrix effects, I am not sure but I am pretty sure the Enttec clone controllers I have actually HAVE a cat5 port on them, not sure if it is for output though. I will check when I get home in about 20 minutes.