Author Topic: Show keeps growing and growing and growing...  (Read 1931 times)

Offline SteveMaris

2011 is going to be my first year for a show. My plan was 32 channels.  Trying to keep it simple, you know? I then discovered this wonderful place. With the current coop, I am now up to 128 Channels.  <fp.  I think I may have a light show addiction.  Anyone else having this "problem?" Can anyone help me? please?   >.d9
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline BryanV

Re: Show keeps growing and growing and growing...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, »
seek help before its too late    ;D

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, »
last November, my "show" was 12 on/off channels, and was inside...

My name is Chris, and I'm a blinkaholic.  ;D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, »
Doing my first show this year.  Right now I'm looking at 137 channels.  Currently I have 2 expresses purchased and assembled so I have a ways to go.  I have my prototype mini-tree built (100 red, 100 green & 100 multi colors), 1 of 2 light panels built (basically 6 single color net lights so they can change colors) 1 rainbow flood & 1 rainbow spot (for testing but i really really like them).  I hope to build my prototype arch tomorrow.

I just barely put together my full planning list.  I have a long ways to go.  I'll probably go with the freestyle & SSRs for a lower per channel cost since I need so many channels this year.

Already have 2 mr16 pcbs purchased for the floods, but I'm still looking at 81+ A/C channels I need controllers for (hence the freestyle / SSRs)

For a while I thought I'd get away with the 32 channels...

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, »
Well on the bright side, we have some time to get it all together and ready.  8)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, »
I too started out thinking that it would be low channel count this year but now I'm up to 128 and counting.. The real question is, where do we stop adding thingys and work on the actual show? I'm not gonna get to the point where what else can I add and still have time to write the programs. So for this year its gonna be 128 channels with about 22,000 lights.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, »
I'm gonna keep adding till that first shovel of dirt hits my face   ;)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, »
You are a lightaholic chris...LOl

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, »
lol yeah I started with 2 boards.  A mere 32 channels.  Then realized that I just couldn't do a show with that little.  So I added another 4 boards to bring me up to 96 channels. I was happy with that.  started sequencing this past week after the wife and I finally decided on what to do with lights.  Well the next coop came and I decided 2 more boards just in case.  Yeah right.  I want them as back up but I know better.  I'll add 'em to the show.

All this is great but I still DO NOT have enough lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great I have the controllers but one can sit here and watch the little green leds on the boards for just so long. lol

So I'm a blinkaholic and lightaholic.  No wait..  I don't have enough lights so I guess that makes me just a blinkaholic.  I have a problem.... :)
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, »

All this is great but I still DO NOT have enough lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great I have the controllers but one can sit here and watch the little green leds on the boards for just so long. lol

You can do what I do Dean, I get up on this 58 degree morning, sit in my garage with my laptop and watch videos on youtube of other light shows..

Offline scharbon

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, »
A good way to curb your addiction is to sequence a song with the number of channels you plan to use.  I know right now, with 128 channels, it takes me about 60 to 90 minutes to sequence a 15 second section of song.  It could be I am just slow, or that I am pretty finicky about my timing, but I do know that when October comes around, I wished I had already done my sequencing.   

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, »
Well i have been doing a show since 2006 (I took last year off) and started with 96 channels (only ended up using 76) and had 6 songs choreographed by December 1st my opening night. Every year I added more lights (went from single color mega tree to three color) and added several more songs with my 2009 show using 90 channels and close to 36,000 lights and 21 songs in the show. Now with a year off I am adding a pixelnet RGB mega tree, leaping arches and several other new elements to my display and I am looking forward to having to almost completely re choreographing my show due to all the design changes.  Oh yeah this is the first year I will be sequencing with Light Show Pro so I am stocking up on zantec now.  :D 
Jeff Squires

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, »
There is a big push to rename it from CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem to ECLAS - Extreme Christmas Light Addiction Syndrome.  JK ;D

Check out this article
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline marf

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, »
I've heard "Ignorance is bliss.", but has anyone ever put together a worksheet of time, materials, and money required to "put on a show"?  I think that would have been nice to see way back on the welcome board - as a warning!

So let's be honest here.  I dare you. Who has got how much invested in what?

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, »
I've heard "Ignorance is bliss.", but has anyone ever put together a worksheet of time, materials, and money required to "put on a show"?  I think that would have been nice to see way back on the welcome board - as a warning!

So let's be honest here.  I dare you. Who has got how much invested in what?
I am guilty. <fp.. I have a stack of wasted paper that can be seen by the space station. I try to settle on a plan and then I thin k of somethin g else and want to add this or that and I add to the stack of scratch paper. I'm keeping georgia pacific busy.... <yk..