Author Topic: forum problem  (Read 1958 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
forum problem
« on: July 24, 2011, »
I don't know if this is only me, but often when I enter my login information on the main screen and click login I get a second special login screen.  I do not type my login info in, I have it in a program called lastpass which automatically enters it so this is not a typing problem.  When I get the "login error" I can enter the password in the special login screen or I can just click the login button on the main screen where my data is again filled in automatically and I get straight into the forum.  When the forum was first upgraded several weeks ago this happened all the time.  Then the issue went away and I figured something got fixed.  Now it is happening again.  Anyone know what is going on?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: froum problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, »
Not sure I have not experiences this myself. If others are seeing this please post here so I know it could not be a single issue with his setup.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Greg

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, »
I've had this problem too, though this time the log in worked first time.

Noticed exactly same behavior, but I always type my log in manually.

During times when the problem happened, my packet logs show the user name being sent with the password field blank/empty even though the password was definitely typed in on the screen. from the dedicated log in screen, either clicked from the index page or after the the failure takes you to the special log in screen, logging in works every time.

I never reported this because RJ asked for people to hold off on reporting problems and I was waiting to see if either the problem cleared up or RJ asked for remaining issues to be reported...

Separately, how about a secure https log in option?
Or maybe implement "HTTPS Everywhere" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Greg
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, »
Here is the screen that comes up after hitting login by the "forever" the first time.  I then hit login at the top by the "forever" and I get logged in.  At no time did I type anything.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: forum problem
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, »
I have had that happen before, just thought I typed in the password wrong. Probable did!
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, »
I have the same issue using Firefox.  gets me to the "special" screen and says I must wait at least 2 seconds before logging again.  Al;ways works on the second try.

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, »
Thought it was the new security systems.  I too get the same thing and have to log in twice.

One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, »
I will check SMF forum for any known issues. I checked I do not have anything special setup.

RJ

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, »
I am using firefox 5.  Will try it with IE9 and Chrome.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, »
I've noticed that the new messages since your last post has been sometimes working, sometimes not.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, »
Do you mean when you click the 'new' link from the results page it doesn't always load the thread page it just hangs until you refresh the 'show new posts since...' page and then click the 'new' link again and then it loads? 

That has been a bit of an annoyance since the upgrade.  Happens on different machines running different versions of IE - cannot recall it ocurring before the upgrade.  It's not a show stopper but could indicate a larger issue.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, »
I've noticed that the new messages since your last post has been sometimes working, sometimes not.

I have noticed that sometimes myself, but I read this forum on several computers and have chalked it up to forgetting to logout on one of the machines.  As long as I am careful to logout everytime, it seems to work ok.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, »
I have used ie9 a few times over the last two days and have not had the login problem yet.  Maybe it is something to do with firefox 5.  I don't remember this happening before I upgraded firefox from 3.x to 5.x so that may have something to with it.  My netbook is still running FF3 so I will have to dig that out and see if it fails there.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline meman

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, »
I use Firefox 5 with no problems. Sounds like session management issues.
Log out of DLA and go under tools ->options and delete the cookie for "dlanimation", it stores PHP session info, etc.
Then try to login again.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, »
I use Firefox 5 with no problems. Sounds like session management issues.
Log out of DLA and go under tools ->options and delete the cookie for "dlanimation", it stores PHP session info, etc.
Then try to login again.

You may be right! the cookie did change when we updated the forum I wonder if you guys still have the old one cached.

RJ