Author Topic: Pickit 3 info needed.  (Read 2016 times)

Offline SteveMaris

Re: Pickit 3 info needed.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You only need the ZIF adapter to program chips out of the board.  I think most all of RJ's newer boards have the six pin ICSP header so you really don't need the ZIF socket.

Most of RJ's boards use a 28 pin PIC24FJ32GA002 which is a 28 pin chip.  I know the new Ether dongle uses a PIC32 and requires an ICSP header and Pickti3.  Some of the older boards use the PIC18 and might be the only reason for a ZIF socket.
I need it for the MR16.
 I am in on the coop, so I am just trying to plan ahead.
I obviously have some learning to do between now and then...LOL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, »
It is possible that this chip may come pre-programmed from the coop manager.  In many of the past coops if the device only has one version of the firmware and no ISPC header the coop manager would usually pogram them.  That is of course up to the coop manager whether they have the time and or desire to do it.  It is still a good idea to have your own programmer either way.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, »
It is possible that this chip may come pre-programmed from the coop manager.  In many of the past coops if the device only has one version of the firmware and no ISPC header the coop manager would usually pogram them.  That is of course up to the coop manager whether they have the time and or desire to do it.  It is still a good idea to have your own programmer either way.
Yes. My first MR16 came programmed.
Like you said, good idea to have it as long as I am buying the pickit3.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, »
Yes.   The 18/20  ZIF will be what you need. It looks like it uses an 18 pin PIC18 series.  As stated by others.  If you're going to experiment with other toys then you might need others.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, »
oh yeah...   when you use 18 pin chips with the 20 pin adapter, it has a marking for pin 1 when you use 18pin, as opposed to 20 pin chips.  it threw me off at first
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, »
If you can program the chip on board it's much easier.  The ZIF sockets are very flexible but can be confusing.  They are not plug-n-play as they appears.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, »
I cannot say for sure, but I have not come across a kit chip that wasn't programmed before shipment.  I have a pickit3 and the 4 adapter kit from ebay and have had no problems so far.  Hope that helps. :D
R,
Tony "C"

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, »
I cannot say for sure, but I have not come across a kit chip that wasn't programmed before shipment.  I have a pickit3 and the 4 adapter kit from ebay and have had no problems so far.  Hope that helps. :D
Hopefully my mess of stupid questions will help future searchers.  :)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, »

A coop purchase is one thing, but adding other things later on a onesy basis or having a firmware correction available would still require a chip to be reflashed.  I would never recommend that anyone get into this hobby without owning a pickit.  The cost becomes rounding error compared to what we spend in total and if you have to fix / replace something during a show season you will want to be able to react quickly.  For the same reason I buy and have available an extra dongle, LE, SSR4, SSC, active hub etc.  I do not want my show down because I did not plan for failure.  Even though I have had only minor failures this is my insurance policy.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA