Author Topic: pixels vs nodes for a mega tree  (Read 7726 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
pixels vs nodes for a mega tree
« on: November 03, 2013, »
what is everyone's preference for a mega tree, nodes or strips? strips are of course more expensive but, easier to keep straight. nodes are cheaper and the spacing is farther apart. just curious as to whether the expensive of the strips, versus the expense of nodes is worth it. my guess is that you can probably do more with the strips as far as effects, and the clarity of the effects will be much more defined. opinions please?

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: pixels vs nodes for a mega tree
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, »
I'm doing ss nodes and spacing vertical and horizontal are the same ... But as you said more work involved in mounting them .

I haven't seen how it's going to look yet.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, »
I prefer nodes because with strips your vertical density is much higher than your horizontal density.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, »
I prefer nodes because with strips your vertical density is much higher than your horizontal density.

so by doing nodes you can keep things more even? I am doing 3'' spacing. I started to sink my nodes into a 1/2'' emt pipe. that is what got me thinking about strips. Lol  sure is a lot of work to sink the node in the pipe but man it looks good. how are you guys mounting your nodes to keep them straight and in tight form? here is a pic of the first of 20(maybe 32) bars I planned on using for my tree. my initial plan was 20 strings 50 nodes each. but i'm starting to lean towards making it 32 strings for tighter spacing.
Florence, KY

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, »
My preference for a mega tree is led strings.  LOL.  I have a 17ft mega tree using 64 strings of LEDs, but I wanted to play with the RGB effects so I built a 7ft pixel tree using 16 half strips in a 180 configuration.  To upgrade my mega tree to RGB would cost too much and would look totally different than what I and my family prefer.  This way I have the best of both worlds.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rick surette

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, »

so by doing nodes you can keep things more even? I am doing 3'' spacing. I started to sink my nodes into a 1/2'' emt pipe. that is what got me thinking about strips. Lol  sure is a lot of work to sink the node in the pipe but man it looks good. how are you guys mounting your nodes to keep them straight and in tight form? here is a pic of the first of 20(maybe 32) bars I planned on using for my tree. my initial plan was 20 strings 50 nodes each. but i'm starting to lean towards making it 32 strings for tighter spacing.
I am planning to go this method but I am concerned about UV on the wires. Do you guy's worry about this?
Thanks,
Rick

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, »
A smart string megatree is a "definite maybe" for me this year.   ;D 

I asked Ray about a few custom things and one of which was a 15led/meter strip of 5050s on 2.5" centers.  No such luck.   

I tried quite a few things and this is the direction I am going if fate allows:  10' tree 180 degrees with 16 strands of 32 nodes 3.5" centers.  3" x 10' ABS ripped into 4 - 1.5" strips.  Rear entry nodes hot glued in place.  Still designing a topper...  I really prefer the top a mega that goes to a nice point and many designs do not.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, »
3" x 10' ABS ripped into 4 - 1.5" strips.

what is ABS? i am seeking all possibilities of how to do it so i can avoid drilling 988 more holes into the emt! lol
Florence, KY

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, »
Here are some pictures of the process my Dad came up with to turn cheap 1/2" EMT conduit into something which can hold SS Nodes without any hardware ... and it holds them extremely tightly.  He made a jig which you insert the conduit into, then you drill out the holes, then rip it down the middle of the holes.  He also does debur the holes.  These pieces of conduit serve as the basis for all my rooflines, matrix and the rgb 1/2 megatree.  Spacing is 3" I believe on the megatree and rooflines.  A smaller second jig was created to make the matrix conduit with smaller spacing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, »
Here are some pictures of the process my Dad came up with to turn cheap 1/2" EMT conduit into something which can hold SS Nodes without any hardware ... and it holds them extremely tightly.  He made a jig which you insert the conduit into, then you drill out the holes, then rip it down the middle of the holes.  He also does debur the holes.  These pieces of conduit serve as the basis for all my rooflines, matrix and the rgb 1/2 megatree.  Spacing is 3" I believe on the megatree and rooflines.  A smaller second jig was created to make the matrix conduit with smaller spacing.

Maybe its me but that looks like grey pvc and not EMT. Is the pipe plastic or metal?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, »
It's the non metallic stuff found in the electrical section at Home Depot

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, »
Your right rick ...  it's called 1/2" rigid grey PVC electrical conduit ... And has a build in coupler on one end.  My Dad did make his own coupler using a larger diameter PVC which allows you to use scraps or add extensions.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, »
What did he use to cut the emt?  I tried cutting some regular pvc like that and it it fractured and cracked so bad that I gave up.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, »
If you go into the plumming section, you will see the PVC pipe cutters (the ratcheting kind).  They cut thru it like butter. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, »
Tell your dad he's pretty smart..

As a wood dorker I would love to see more of the jig?  Like how does he keep the pvc from rotating when he runs it along the table saw?  Looks like a normal 1/8" blade kerf down the holes.  Perhaps the width of the dado is a bit tight and that holds the pvc firmly in place the whole time?

Then I assume you use normal pipe straps to hang it with or some other smart technique?

I'm rattling around a shelfpin type jib with the hardened steel guides and a pin to register it after the first hole is drilled to maintain spacing.  Make a long one and two could be drilling at the same time.

Great stuff, keep it coming!