Author Topic: pixels vs nodes for a mega tree  (Read 7725 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: pixels vs nodes for a mega tree
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Oops, just realized I plan to use 2" not 3".  Anyway, from my research, ABS is more durable especially in cold weather.  My experiences with pvc in cold weather was not good.  Electrical conduit is pvc with chemicals added to boost the strength and UV protection so it is the better choice over sch40 but no experiences for using it beyond its intend use.  I like abs since it is already black and it is REAL FLEXIBLE and I think that is a good thing. 

Absolutely agree that a jig is necessary and makes the job go fast.  Primary reason I am using strips is so I can drill a clamped stack of 4-6 in one pass.  I plan to make one accurate strip on a drill press and use it as a guide for the rest. 

Let's talk toppers!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, »
I'm not sure how the PVC doesn't turn inside the jig.  I think its quite tight fitting, meaning it just didn't turn on over 120 pieces cut.  He might have a bolt that holds it in place (can't recall).
If you IM me I can get reply your detailed questions to my Dad .. he loves talking details and process.

To hang them, he used a clip which is basically larger sized pvc that tightly fits over the 1/2" pvc conduits.  Those with a hole in them allows for direct mounting to the house, which I did not want (I have an HOA).  So instead I asked him to devise me two types of clips -- so he came up with a shingle and gutter clip version, which both use the same clip used for the direct install.

I'll attach a few pictures of those things here.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, »
If they created a cheaper  but less dense (bigger spacing) flex strip ... I think it could be ideal for doing megatrees.  Even a 4" space would work ... then make it various (longer) lengths.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, »
I just love seeing jigs made up by folks.

What size drill bit did you use?
Was the slot cut by the table saw or router?

Thanks

Rick R.

Now only if I had that nice big space to work in.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, »
If they created a cheaper  but less dense (bigger spacing) flex strip ... I think it could be ideal for doing megatrees.  Even a 4" space would work ... then make it various (longer) lengths.

I agree.  Scott, if you and I went together on an order of these we could have pulled off the volume to get them made... ;D  I was hoping I could convince him just to populate every other led on a 30led/m strip and give me 15led/m... 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, »
What did he use to cut the emt?  I tried cutting some regular pvc like that and it it fractured and cracked so bad that I gave up.

you need a really fined tooth saw blade to cut pvc, or turn your blade backwards and it won't bite as hard.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, »
It's the non metallic stuff found in the electrical section at Home Depot

how tall is your mega tree? how do you keep the pvc from sagging in the middle?
Florence, KY

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, »
Its a 1/2 megatree, 16' tall (1' base + 15' tree on top of base).

Used table saw and dado blade to cut the conduit inside the jig.

See my facebook page photos section for more pics.

The 1/2 rgb megatree has several supports (each 1/2 circle support is mounted (like a muffler clamp) on the pole) ... and those provide support for 47 vertical conduits going from base to top.
Each support has a pair of holes to attach wire to the conduit to strap it down with ... its cheap and easy.  Could use zip ties also.

There are 48 verticals, installed as 24 pairs ... each pair uses 128 SS Nodes ... 64 on each vertical.   Most of the tree will appear to have 3" space in both vertical and horiz ... but in truth its variable because of the tree shape.

The 1/2 megatree uses an innovative "tilt down" design.   So when tilted down, conduit and topper are installed at a standing height.  THen tree is tipped up (very easy for 2 small guys) and then secured to the base with wire again.  THen guys are deployed (4 of them).  The idea was its easy to install and service.  Can even tilt back down if needed. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, by taybrynn »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, »
that's pretty slick! might be using that design, I had thought of the half circles for support in a couple of spots but the hinged bottom is a whole new level! lol
Florence, KY

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, »
taybrynn,

Awesome Awesome design.  Very well done
Just out of curiosity, where do you store something like that? (I'm guessing not in your garage/attic/backyard)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, »
THAT IS AWESOME!!!   8) 8) 8)  The whole tree is very well designed and constructed. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, »
Thanks.

I wish I had taken more pictures of the parts before we assembled them -- We fit them all in his suburban (closed) and just strapped the pole to his rooftop rack.

Everything stacks, the pole and two big bases are fairly large and may need to be stored in my garage, but the rest will go in my crawlspace.  I already store a spiral megatree in the garage, as its only 11' tall and lives on its side in a cart.  When its time to install it, I pull our the base and install & level it ... then the spiral wheels out the garage and into the yard.
Then we pick it up and put it into the base. 

I will store it all (disassembled) in my crawl space, which is about 4.5' tall and is 1000 sq. ft of concrete ... the pole will go in the garage.
The conduit(s) will store on the wall in a custom rack that my Dad is still working on.    It took about an hour to assemble it, maybe a little
more because I taking pictures along the way.

What my Dad was fearing was how much the tree would slam down onto the base when we tilted it up.  As it turned out, the weight of the pole
is so much more than the rest of it ... that when just my brother and I pushed it up ... it felt smooth as silt ... like it was on hydraulics almost. 
So even lowering it the last inch was simple and smooth, not scary.   No risk of slamming down onto our fingers or anything.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, »
Just wait until you get the weight of all the lights on it.  Then watch out.  Looks good so far.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, »
Yeah, I know its going to weigh a lot more!  I know my Dad did the calculations on that also.   I'm used to having 4-5 guys on the spiral tree and its 4800 lights and its 360 vs. this which is only 180.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, »
Just wait until you get the weight of all the lights on it.  Then watch out.  Looks good so far.

that's the one thing that makes me wonder about using pvc versus emt. the pvc is SOOOO much easier to drill and work with though!
Florence, KY