Author Topic: Anxiety Getting the Best of Me  (Read 7978 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Anxiety Getting the Best of Me
« on: January 27, 2011, »
I know I am new to DLA and that it takes time for the coop's to finish but, I sure am anxious to get some hardware and start building boards.

The Ralphie in me says....I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

The adult in me says...I want an official Lynx Express, 16 channel, dimming capable, light normalizing controller!  <;d

Arrrrgghhhh............patience.

Anyone else feeling my pain?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Anxiety Getting the Best of Me
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

Please repeat after me:

I have already picked up all the ac cords I need.

I have already chosen all the songs I will use.

I have already...

... get the idea...

(and don't worry.  Ever coop you'll feel the same...lol...)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, »
Pick the songs???  You mean that you are supposed to do that before the end of October!?!?!?!?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, »
You can wait until December 24 to pick you song and have them ready by December 2012.

LOL
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, »
OK          This is starting to sound like a 3 step recovery program again. <fp.

Step 1: Join Coop and wait patiently
Step 2: Read and learn about blinky flashy
Step 3: Wait until November 20th to start sequencing

Repeat as directed
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline Greg

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, »
Yep, what Keith said!

My first DLA Christmas I had zero controllers (for various reasons like too slow to pull the trigger on one COOP that sold out and 2 failed/canceled COOPs) until Mid to Late November and then I still had to build them!

BUT, I began planning in March prior and had planned and built my new display elements, picked the music, downloaded Vixen and sequenced the music and with great appreciation for vixen's preview capability I was able to pull off my first show (112 channels) with only minor tweaking of the sequences for light intensity.  It was a push, but I was able to gett'er done and you can to.

Greg
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, »
Hi NavyGator

Just do yourself a BIG favor when you do get your stuff.

DON'T RUSH TO FINISH
Haste makes Waste and lots of later troubleshooting

Take your time and double check all solder joints at the end of each step. Use a magnifying glass to make sure you have a good solder and no bridges.

In the mean time Like the others said. Start working on Sequencing and figure out what songs you like to use. Sequencing takes the longest to finish (if its ever finished)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, »
OK          This is starting to sound like a 3 step recovery program again. <fp.

That sounds about right. All of this just brings out the kid in me. Problem is the wife always looks at me funny when I start on these kinds of projects. ;D

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, »
I don't want to say this but the software is my biggest hangup right now. With all the talk of new versions and complete rewrites to accommodate RGB I am hesitant to do anything with software yet.  ???  At least not till later in the year.

I am probably going to get some 6ft AC cords from HD or Lowes (and take advantage of my military discount) just so I will have everything waiting when I get my boards and parts.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, »
I found 6ft cords at walmart for 97cents. if it helps.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, »
It is not unusual to be impatient......I started programming my 1st show(song) already. And because I fidgit way too much waiting, I already started making things....

1st up are my new wall washes. I got regular 5M strip RGB's ( single mode) and cut them up.
We get replacement parts at work and some came in these 20" tubes. Just so happens they fit perfectly in them with room for a small DMX 3CH decoder/driver and I am putting some RJ45's on each end.

total of 8 on the house......

the rest is on paper......for now!!
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, »

Actually it did. A little checking on prices from the home improvement stores and some overpriced public school math showed Wally World to be the cheaper supplier.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, »
It is not unusual to be impatient......I started programming my 1st show(song) already. And because I fidgit way too much waiting, I already started making things....

1st up are my new wall washes. I got regular 5M strip RGB's ( single mode) and cut them up.
We get replacement parts at work and some came in these 20" tubes. Just so happens they fit perfectly in them with room for a small DMX 3CH decoder/driver and I am putting some RJ45's on each end.

Looks good. Throw in the music and audio from Knight Rider and go red on the LED's.   8)

Offline remixsam

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, »
These look great!  do you have any more info you can share about your wall washers?  this looks like something I would liek to try....

Thanks, sam

Offline paulcimn

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, »

Actually it did. A little checking on prices from the home improvement stores and some overpriced public school math showed Wally World to be the cheaper supplier.

As a newbie... why would you not use SPT-1 for your extension cords? I am asking because that was my plan...