Author Topic: New Spring 2011 Coop Poll  (Read 6935 times)

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
New Spring 2011 Coop Poll
« on: February 12, 2011, »
Let's try this again.

Here's a poll where you can indicate what current DLA equipment you would like to see a coop for. 
I did not include Smart Strings as we know these are coming. 
This is NOT a guarantee that any one of these will generate or be an actual coop. 
Poll is only to gather information for the membership to see where interest currently exists.

Poll will be open to the end of February.

Alan T

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: New Spring 2011 Coop Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, »
That's what I wanted to do!!!

thanks, Alan
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, »
Other than the smart strings, does it make sense to do a group buy on regular strings of lights, either incan or LED? With the shipping the only way it would make sense is with some kind of drop ship arrangement, unless the quantities were high enough.
Just asking...has something like this ever been done?

If something like this were to occur, I would want to do it after the smart string coop, as that is going to be my major xmas purchase this year.

Thanks again!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, »
I dont recall ever seeing a coop on things that were not created here.  There are other sites that do this every now and then and with the work involved, I can understand why and prefer the coop managers spending their time working on things that I can't just get somewhere else.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Other than the smart strings, does it make sense to do a group buy on regular strings of lights, either incan or LED?

Conventional wisdom has been that unless a U.S. distributor has a trusted source in China for light strings, it probably isn't wise to try to become an importer.

A number of people have explored this over the years and have found that the manufacturers don't necessarily deliver the product they say they will and/or deliver defective product.

Members who travel to China to buy electronics as part of their profession have been especially candid in their remarks.

It is generally believed that doing business with an importer such as CDI is going to get you the best product/best price ratio.

YMMV, not legal in all 50 states, objects in the mirror may be larger than they appear.

\dmc

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, »
I disagree, I have done business with 4 different manufacturers in China and the only minor problem I had was a one month delay in delivery, for a product that I waited too late in the year to order. On two of the orders I used Ali-baba which allows you to hold back payment until you are satisfied with the product you receive, for me it takes all that risk of doing business oversea right out of the equation. JMHO

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, »
This thread is about what people want to see in upcoming coops.  It is not a thread for debating the merits, pros, cons, or other issues of importing stuff from China.  If you want to raise that topic let's move it elsewhere.

As to one of the points posted here.  It seems to me that a lot of people have looked into coops on lights (both LED and other) and it does not seem to work out due to problems with the quality of the product, shipping issues, minimal savings, etc.  The folks at CDI have developed a reputation for getting a quality product to those who are interested and run a pre-order sale that is generally posted in the Vendor section at the beginning of each year.  Let's not rehash this issue here.  If anyone feels they can make a coop work for lights or other materials, please research it and then ask RJ if you can start a coop.   

I apologize for sounding snippy but I would respectfully ask that this thread be restricted to comments about the POLL.  Please don't hijack it for any other issues.  Start a new thread if you want to discuss other issues.

Thank you.

Alan T

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, »
It's fun coming back and seeing where the poll stats stand.  It's like watching a horse race.  Come on "Wireless"...

I realize in the end, it'll be up to willing Coop managers to ultimately decide what to run.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, »
I guess my question would be why is the Aeon included in this poll and that it actually has some votes.  Now don't get me wrong, I think that the Aeon is a cool device but there is a coop currently running for it so anyone that wants one can get in on that coop NOW and I would suggest that they do.  

Offline inzeos

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, »
I guess my question would be why is the Aeon included in this poll and that it actually has some votes.  Now don't get me wrong, I think that the Aeon is a cool device but there is a coop currently running for it so anyone that wants one can get in on that coop NOW and I would suggest that they do.  

There may be people who are passing on the current Aeon coop due to the fact that they are dumping all their money into the already closed Lynx Express coops or the recently closed and soon to open smart string coop.

Remember this poll is forecasting out many months.

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, »
This thread is about what people want to see in upcoming coops.  It is not a thread for debating the merits, pros, cons, or other issues of importing stuff from China.  If you want to raise that topic let's move it elsewhere.

As to one of the points posted here.  It seems to me that a lot of people have looked into coops on lights (both LED and other) and it does not seem to work out due to problems with the quality of the product, shipping issues, minimal savings, etc.  The folks at CDI have developed a reputation for getting a quality product to those who are interested and run a pre-order sale that is generally posted in the Vendor section at the beginning of each year.  Let's not rehash this issue here.  If anyone feels they can make a coop work for lights or other materials, please research it and then ask RJ if you can start a coop.   

I apologize for sounding snippy but I would respectfully ask that this thread be restricted to comments about the POLL.  Please don't hijack it for any other issues.  Start a new thread if you want to discuss other issues.

Thank you.

Alan T
Sorry dude.
I thought this was an add-on to the thread that I started on the porch and was open for discussion. I wasn't trying to threadjack.
If I did, I'm sorry. Just trying to help everyone (including myself) out.

-Ron

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, »
What? No DMX channel tester?   ;)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, »
If and when it truly exists I would expect that there would be but until then ....

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, »
What? No DMX channel tester?   ;)

Yeah What GIVES!!!    ??? <md..   :o   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, »
POLL Question is "What current DLA equipment would you like to see a coop for in the next 3 to 6 months?" 

Once the DMX Channel Tester gets past beta testing and/or RJ permits a coop for it no problem.  I was not aware it was ready for release. 
I put together the poll from hardware listed on the Home page of the forum.

As noted above, this poll is for "Current" DLA equipment which implies that PCBs can be ordered now and a Mouser BOM exists.

Alan T