Author Topic: Can we use LOR with PixelNet  (Read 7863 times)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Re: Can we use LOR with PixelNet
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lor s3 does not do pixelnet protocal at all.

Lor can only comunicate to the etd directly is when the etd is flashed with the dmx firmware.

If one wanted to use an etd with lor with the pixelnet protocol is to set it up as an aux network and use xlights to convert the lor language to pixelnet language. Then if lor controllers want to be run on the same network they would have to be plugged into the dmx out of the active hub and be running in dmx mode. If one also wanted they could run another network for the lor controllers directly.

Maybe I am mistaken when I heard e131 is now supported with LOR s3 software.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Can we use LOR with PixelNet
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, »
LOR controllers run much faster under DMX than LOR protocol.   My show was lagging badly under LOR and I didn't know it.

I'm preparing to convert my display this year to LOR S3 and mostly Lynx Express controllers running DMX.  The LOR controllers will be running DMX as well.  I'm hoping to fix just this problem.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, »
I believe the pixelnet is generated at the etherdongle itself depending if you have the etherdongle flashed for pixelnet or dmx. And as long as you can talk e131 via S3.5 to the etherdongle, it should work. At least that is my understanding.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, »
I believe the pixelnet is generated at the etherdongle itself depending if you have the etherdongle flashed for pixelnet or dmx. And as long as you can talk e131 via S3.5 to the etherdongle, it should work. At least that is my understanding.

You are correct. When Lor sends out the data via E1.31 ethernet it does not know it is talking to the ETD so it does not care. Setup in software is E1.31 and has nothing to do with pixelnet. With the ETD no show software needs to know what pixelnet is, only what e1.31 is,

Pixelnet is only the protocol between our equipment not what the software sends out.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline brownjm74

• Brown Christmas Light Show
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, »
Sorry about "resurrecting" an old thread...I just didn't see any updates on what you guys found out. 

I am just getting started in the RGB world and I picked up a Pixelnet Controller to start.  I currently have 9 LOR Controllers with LOR S3 software. 

I am planing to keep using LOR S3 and keeping my LOR controllers on the LOR network with the LOR USB Dongle.  However I am currently building an Lynx USB Dongle flashed with Pixelnet to run a Pixelnet Controller.  As I expand in the next few years I will look at getting the etherdongle.  I haven't finished everything yet, but I am at a loss on figuring out how to make LOR S3 talk to the Pixelnet Controller.  I have a few ideas that I have printed off and can't wait to try them.  Any help would be appreciated and I plan to keep searching for someone who has went down this road already.  I will post what I find works for me to let everyone else know.

Jeremy Brown
Mason, MI
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, by brownjm74 »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, »
I don't know that LOR can handle a USB pixelnet dongle.  It does not use E1.31 as there is no Ethernet network involved.  For this to work, LOR would need to use the USB interface with 4096 channel support.

Instead, I suggest you use your computer's network interface and the E1.31 capability in LOR to communicate over a network connection to a etherdongle.  The etherdongle will generate pixelnet and the rest of your setup will work as it did before.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, »
Never fear! It will work. Done it many times. USB dongle flashed for Pixelnet, controlling 6 SSCs from a Smart Hub. Using LOR S3.

Galaxy Note II

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, »
Never fear! It will work. Done it many times. USB dongle flashed for Pixelnet, controlling 6 SSCs from a Smart Hub. Using LOR S3.

Hey, Jon.  Making the move to pixelnet this year, and while I have an etherdongle, I haven't got it working yet... but I DO have a working USB dongle flashed for pixelnet.  How do you have your networks set up in S3?  How does S3 handle the border pixel issue?  I'm continuing to work on the EthD, but I want to make sure I can use the USB, just in case.

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, »
It works the same as the lynx (DMX flashed) dongle with LOR. Instead of one DMX universe you get 8. In the LOR set up it as 8 512 dmx universes LOR talks DMX to the dongle and the dongle outputs pixelnet. For example  a 20 pixel item = 60 channels.  In the LOR set up pick the universe  say number 1 so you set it up chanel 1-60 . Your string would be 1-60. if it was in universe #2 1-60 your string would be numbered 513-573. If in universe #3 1-60 would be 1025-1065 ....
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, »
It works the same as the lynx (DMX flashed) dongle with LOR. Instead of one DMX universe you get 8. In the LOR set up it as 8 512 dmx universes LOR talks DMX to the dongle and the dongle outputs pixelnet. For example  a 20 pixel item = 60 channels.  In the LOR set up pick the universe  say number 1 so you set it up chanel 1-60 . Your string would be 1-60. if it was in universe #2 1-60 your string would be numbered 513-573. If in universe #3 1-60 would be 1025-1065 ....

Yep... got that.  Was just wondering how he had his/your network set up.  If you try to set up the DMX tab to Lynx, it lists a single dongle (don't remember the designation).  You can only set one network to use that dongle.  Is it ok to leave the rest of the names of the dongles blank?

Adapter 1 : (Lynx dongle name)          Protocol: Lynx
Adapter 2 : blank                                Protocol: Lynx
Adapter 3 : blank                                Protocol: Lynx
etc...

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, »
Ill have to look at what I did last year. I ran the LOR dongle and the Lynx dongle so I had two networks running. I will fire it up tonight and check it.....I have done no new secquencing for anything this year and have not had LOR turned on since January. I need to get a new license and up grade anyway....
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, »
I got back into LOR S3 and think I was mistaken. When I used the Lynx Dongle flashed to Pixelnet, I was using xLights. It fully understands the difference between the Lynx Dongle as DMX or Pixelnet.

I tried configuring the LOR network config to use apply more than one DMX universe to the same COM Port. It won't let you.

Offline brownjm74

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, »
I am having problems getting LOR S3 sequence to work.  I am assuming that it is a channel name/number issue.  So here is what I have.

9 LOR controllers
1 pixelnet controller
Lynx Dongle flashed to Pixelnet
WS2811 Flex RGB

When I try running a sequence in xlights "test" area the RGB just kind of does its own thing.  I just built a simple sequence to move a color on the first 6 LED groups.  I have attached a couple of screen shots.  I'm not sure what I am missing.

Thanks,

Jeremy Brown

Offline keitha43

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, »
What version SSC? The problem could be your WS2811 strip is not supported by the SSC. In needs to be a certain speed and v4 SSC's do better with WS2811 than the V3 SSC. Only the strips in the WIKI are officially supported and use a different chip.

Offline brownjm74

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, »
What version SSC? The problem could be your WS2811 strip is not supported by the SSC. In needs to be a certain speed and v4 SSC's do better with WS2811 than the V3 SSC. Only the strips in the WIKI are officially supported and use a different chip.

I purchaced them through DIY LED Express and I'm not using a SSC to control them, just a pixel controler.  I have no idea what speed the 12v WS2811 is, it's not posted on there website.

Thanks,

Jeremy B.