Author Topic: solder fume extractor  (Read 791 times)

Offline shaunkad

solder fume extractor
« on: December 15, 2012, »
Do these things work? Do they kill the smell? I mean are they wife approved? Or do they just keep the smoke out of your face?

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: solder fume extractor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, »
It depends on where the fumes are pointed to.  If there's no ventilation in the room you're soldering in, then no, it probably won't be wife approved.  You keep the fumes out of your face and that's about it.  That said, I don't think the solder smell is nearly as offensive as cigarette smoke and it usually dissipates quickly over time.

Our "extractor" is a re-purposed fan from an old computer case that has been wired to be plugged in on its own.  You could also use one of those desktop oscillating fans pointed away from your face or even in a window.

Are these necessary?  No.  I think the only time we really used it was when we (PK and I) were building SSCs in the garage on a spring day with a light breeze that was occasionally blowing towards where we were sitting.   We also had 2 irons going and each assembling several SSCs at a time.  (Lots of smoke.)

I know when I was attaching pig tails to smart strings and increasing the distance between some square nodes, my kitchen looked like Cheech and Chong were celebrating the recent legalization here in Colorado.  After opening the screen door and turning on a fan, it was cleared out.

Just depends on personal preferences.

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, »
I do not mind the smoke the wife hates the smell so when I want to solder I have to go to my little unheated uninsulated shed.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, »
I do my work in the basement, and have done tons of soldering (especially with my smart string projects)   It's never been bad like a cloud, and usually disapates within about a foot or two.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline t0cableguy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, »
I have a ceiling bath fan that I use. It sits at the back of the table as close to the work as reasonable. The duct goes to a window with a cutout just big enough for the vent hose. It's not fancy but it pulls most of the fumes right into it and sends them outside. If it dies I can buy another one new for cheap. Sure a little of my ac goes outside but to exhaust the fumes I'm not too worried about that. When I am done i pull the insert from the window and close the window.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, »
Mine...similar to this:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

works great.  It has a carbon filter of some kind on the exit and I can't smell anything solder related when it is running.  The biggest thing is positioning it to catch the fumes the best.  Mine is on an arm so I can sort of get it over the work area.  The fumes and smoke do seem to dissipate quickly without one, but it does pull them away from my face.  It seems like the fumes always go straight to my face no matter how the work sits or where I sit.

HIH,
-Keith