Author Topic: 12DC to 120vAC amp conversion  (Read 825 times)

Offline csf

12DC to 120vAC amp conversion
« on: December 21, 2010, »
Okay so here is my question how can I convert from how many dc12v amps I am using to how many AC 120v amps I am using.

I was under the imprison that if I was using 11amps of 12vdc I was using 11amps 10vac. Is this correct?

At least that's how I thought it worked, but recently I read something that had me rethinking this.

Currently I am using 10 rainbow floods = 11amps, and 15 rainbow spots = (about) 6 amps

If there actually drawing allot lees then I thought they where amp wise then I would like to tweak my sequences to take better advantage of them. I just want to make sure I am keeping power usage at a safe level (there all 15 amp breaker lines, and have 15 amp cut offs in the two main timers, but I prefer to make sure I keep the power levels lower then 15 amps so I don't have to rely on the breakers for safety, and don't have a show shut off on me because it blows a breaker)

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: 12DC to 120vAC amp conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, »
11A * 12V is 132W.  132W / 120V = 1.1A  Remember that power supplies aren't 100% efficient; if they are 80% efficient, figure on 1.1A  * 1.2 = 1.32A at 120V.  This is the reason that power is distributed at high voltage; there's less loss due to heating of the wire, and you need smaller wire.

/mike

Offline csf

Re: 12DC to 120vAC amp conversion
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, »
Thanks for the explanation. I can definitely turn up the floods then.

I was clearing 5 amps to run 1 color of the floods, so even if the power supply was puling   2 amps at full RGB it can easily be powered.

Time for some last minuet tweaks to the show before I show it to  my extended family for Christmas eve :)