Author Topic: 500 watt flood question  (Read 877 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
500 watt flood question
« on: November 08, 2011, »
I know 500 watt would be pushing a single channel on the express to the max.  What if you put 2 in series?  Then the current would be half and I assume you would have two 250 watt lights?  I know current stays the same in a series circuit.  But you would have only 60 volts to each light and then I assume the current would be about 50%  I saw a display video here of someones and they used 125 watt floods to make several BRIGHT lights aimed at the street.  The effect is used very minimal but it looked cool.  I was wondering if I could do the same with 2-3 floods in series to lower the current and brightness.  Like the 500 watt floods you can get for $3.24 at Northern Tool.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline nvizzini

Re: 500 watt flood question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, »
Hi Ron
If you mean 2 500 watt lamps in series . Yes you would split the voltage in half
Ii you used 2 dimmers to control one lamp you may get away with it but I would not try it would be hare to keep balanced You may try to get a 300 or 400 watt Halogen lamp or rent a stage light from  theater supply house, to use for the season. another source would be a photo spot which come in a number of wattages

Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, »
If I may ask, what exactly do you need 500 watts for.  Unless you are trying to light a huge area and even then....  In my display, a light that bright would pretty much wash out all the other lights in the area.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, »
If I may ask, what exactly do you need 500 watts for.  Unless you are trying to light a huge area and even then....  In my display, a light that bright would pretty much wash out all the other lights in the area.

Here is what I was wanting.  Look about 20 seconds into the video.  He used 125W spotlights. (onemousehead's) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw the 500W on sale with the $5 off coupon making them $3.24 delivered so I thought 6 of these would be about $20. I was thinking of lowering them down to about 25% to get about 125W each.   They pulled the coupon and I do not think they are going to honor the ones I ordered.  It was just a way to get the same effect and save some cash buying the lights.

I know this would take away from your show if you flashed bright lights.  I was just thinking of a few of my songs where a main beat in the music with a POP of light would be a cool effect.  An example if just a few seconds into Sandstorm...... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  starts out ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boom................................   Well,  the boom for a half second I think would look cool with about 6 lights random placement across the front of the house.

Like I said the sale is off now and orders I think are dead from Northern Tool

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline rimist

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, »
Not to mention that if mounted up high would make for spectacular lightning next Halloween :)

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, »
Ok, I see where you are coming from.  It is a cool effect but I'm not sure if those 500W floods would do the same thing.  Being that they are 4 times as bright and flood lignts would make them difficult to aim and their intensity (even at half power) may have your viewers seeing spots, LOL.  But that's the great thing about this hobby.  You arer free to try out new things and if it works, great and if not you simply repurpose the items for something else.

If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, »
Probably could just use a dmx dimmer pack.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Problem is finding an enclosure for outdoor use for it.  Maybe a CG2000 don't know.  If you only use them for special effects you are probably ok heatwise.  Pro light guys build a shed to keep these in for outdoor venues.  They need to stay dry and cool.

I agree with the Halloween comment!  Although my display is static I use 1KW par 64s and it looks as cool as it sounds.  That said, I go one night only and they are aimed at my house.  Aim 500W at the street and it's game over.  Police and neighbors...  The stage technique isn't nicknamed "blinding" for no reason.   

250W will push the channel limit of an LE and be pretty darn bright.  Might be able to stay under the radar with em. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."