Author Topic: Are regular LED's the old mini?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Are regular LED's the old mini?
« on: January 27, 2013, »
It seams like the hype around regular LED's and controllers like the LE are on the decline.  It doesn't seam like the LED pre-order talk activity was very high either this year.

Is RGB really this big or is it all hype?

I still have plenty of minis and was contemplating buying a bunch of regular LED's, but I'm wondering if we are going to see RGB LED's start to edge out regular LED's in the animated space.

What are your thoughts?  Where are you expanding?

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: Are regular LED's the old mini?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It seams like the hype around regular LED's and controllers like the LE are on the decline.  It doesn't seam like the LED pre-order talk activity was very high either this year.

Is RGB really this big or is it all hype?

I still have plenty of minis and was contemplating buying a bunch of regular LED's, but I'm wondering if we are going to see RGB LED's start to edge out regular LED's in the animated space.

What are your thoughts?  Where are you expanding?

I had 12,100 channels this last season

32 channels of Lynx
12 channels of Aether II's
The rest (12,000 channels) were smart rgb. Rectangular, flex and strings. Megatree was 20x120 flex. Star was 60 smart rgb rectangular nodes. eaves were strings.

My 60 candy canes from walmart were on Lynx Express. I will add some more lynx this year, but mostly i will be adding more smart rgb. I was drawing like 2 amps on the 110v line for each 16 port hub. I ran all my lights on two 15amp circuits.

I originally just had the rgb lights but my wife thought something was missing. so we went and got all the incandescent lights from previous years and put them out.

I have a mailbox that opens and a letter comes out to santa. I got it from home depot maybe 5 years ago. I bought meteor tubes from ebay, 8 for $15. I had 8 strings of 8 or 64 tubes.

I would say half of my "great show" was for either the mailbox or the meteor tubes. So much for the whiz bang nutcracker effects. Most of the adults loved the megatree, but the kids (and they are the final judges , after all) liked the mailbox and the santa in a hot air balloon.

The price of smart rgb continues to drop. 3 years ago they were over $1 each, now they are under $0.40.

I like that i dont have 1000's of feet of SPT2, just cat5.

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, »
I started in 2011 with 1600 nodes of pixels and a bunch of red, green and white led strings. In 2012 I wanted to add blue. As I started to add up the cost for more colors of quality led strings I was amazed that pixels were not much more. I sold all led strings and went all pixel. I would say go for pixels now rather then later.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, »
I probably bought my last regular led except to replace strings that break. The pixels are too large to look good on my minitrees for example. Also I can't get the colors purple and orange on my pixels to look as good as a regular led. If I could I would use pixels for both Halloween and Christmas. By the time you buy 3 different colors of regular leds for everything the cost difference is not that far apart.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, »
RGB is the future in my opinion.  But I like having two colored strings of LEDs on at once.  I like the mix of having red and green both on or blue and green or green and white.  That kind of effect is hard to do when using pixels.  That is one of the reasons my mega tree still has 64 strings of LEDs and will probably continue to have just LED strings.  But I do have a 7ft 180deg pixel tree so I can play with RGB effects as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, »
My display is pretty small compared to some of the beasts I have seen here.  I think I had about 7K LEDs.  That is being phased out slowly with the RGBs.  I replaced the windows with RGBs last year and this year I will get into the icicle aspect and hopefully the roof trim.  My brother-In-Law has been there to sniff around and pick-up the old LEDs that I had (so much for selling them for about a $1 a strand).

GO WITH THE PIXELS!!!!  With RJ's Etherdongle and SSC combo it just makes it all that much easier to go into. 
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, »
I am converting my mini trees to dumb strings, and most all of my additions for next year will be RGB.
A lot of the extra led strings I had are getting plugged into singing monsters.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, by SteveMaris »

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, »
I also like having more then one color at a time. Its all personal preference. I have my windows outlined in 4 colors and you cant get the same effect from one string or strip. I have blue and warm white icecicles and would like to add green and red but having a large roof line but I will need 20 strings each $$$$$. But in the end buy what you want or you will just replace it in the end.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, »
RGB really is the future of this hobby, IMHO.

I don't think it means throw away everything else ... but it does mean less demand for the things you mentioned.

I don't think regular LEDs are the next mini just yet, as I see them being sold out every year at the store and most homeowners going to use them instead of incand. lights.  No surplus inventory for us to benefit from, or then we may have a better argument to use them vs. rgb.

I think the average retail customer buys regular LED(s) and only a small % buy RGB as an enhanced (and more costly) form of LED ... maybe to out-do their neighbors?

I think in this hobby, you have to say compare the cost of (3) sets of LED vs. the cost of RGB ... and to me they are very similar and rgb might even be cheaper ... so why bother with traditional LED lights?

I know that I'm converting (as I can afford to) from traditional incand. mini lights to RGB ... and as I do it ,it appears I can sell off a lot of traditional AC controllers and cords along the way. 

I have to agree with Sean that its awfully nice to coil up cat5 cords compared to extension cards or even spt2 cords.

I also admit that I've seen Sean' lights a couple times ... and while his 1/2 RGB megatree is amazing ... his snowfall tubes were also captivating!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, »
Everyone has very good discussion points and many I have thought about.

• Cost
  • Node count for the money
  • Flexibility
  • less cords
  • Wow factor

Looks
I like the looks of smaller sizes like the mini and m5.

Node Count
For some reason a massive amount of lights used properly always seams to look good.

Cost
RGB is justifiable but I don't like to do it on the 1 for 3 ratio

Stability
I like things that work and work well.  Of course I like to see the tests first hand.

My last hangup is we have an indoor display nearby that uses a heavy amount of RGB CCRs and people always tell me how much more they like our display than this one.  What I'm trying to figure out is; what do people really like as they could just be telling me this to make me feel good.

I think next year is going to be the same mini light/LED setup and add some RGB elements to see how it goes for me and my guests. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, »
Jeff, I totally understand your points and would actually stay with mini lights if I had a way of getting them at a fair price going forward.   I think the problem is eventually going to be ... where do we buy the minis at?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, »
That's part of what is making the decision so hard. I still have a rather large stash of minis.  I'm just not looking forward to the literally 50 hours to restring 31 mini trees from the ground up knowing they will be garbage in 3 years.  ;D

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, »
I think rgb pixels is just the latest trend that is in right now in lighting animation, but it will soon come to a end. Once the newness wears off and something else came out on the market; everyone will be switching to that new trend. My opinion, the chinese made nodes that everyone one loves buying is a piece of junk. The nodes are never really waterproofed enough like what is said, and till then i am not wasting my money on that stuff.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, »
That's part of what is making the decision so hard. I still have a rather large stash of minis.  I'm just not looking forward to the literally 50 hours to restring 31 mini trees from the ground up knowing they will be garbage in 3 years.  ;D
Doing just that right now. Taking leds off for dumb nodes. Not fun.
I only have 16 though.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, »
I'm curious to see what they look like when you're done.