Author Topic: Arduino programming  (Read 2229 times)

Offline rrawlings

Arduino programming
« on: July 31, 2012, »
I am looking into learning some basic programming.  I have lots of co-workers that have told me how simple programming is but I guess the 46 yr old brain is slow to learn.  I primarily deal with power systems, dc/dc supplies etc, but want to get some additional knowledge.  Is the Arduino a good placed to start to play with micro controllers?  I have the interface knowledge but lack the programming knowledge.

Offline charles59

Re: Arduino programming
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, »
Well, if you want something more related to DLA, Microchip sells a the MicroStick development kits, for like 30 dollars.  You can do both 8, or 16/32 bit PICs.  The 16 and 32 PICS are readily programmed in C, and the PIC32, one rarely uses the assembler.  8 bit pics, are still a lot of assembly .

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, »
The use of Assembler really depends on the speed that you need.  While C does make it easier to code, it is not the most efficient code, at least compared to Assembly.  With Assembly, you can code down to the clock cycles and sometimes you need to if your code depends on it for proper function. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline charles59

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, »
WIth modern C compilers they get rather good, especially if the micro has instructions for a C compiler.  As an example, even microchip expects PIC32 programming to be in C (perhaps a few routines in assembly).  All their examples, and their libraries for the PIC32 series are in C. 

Regardless, not trying to sidetrack to a C versus assembly discussion. 

I have used the Arduino, and it is a fine development platform, especially for hobbyists.  The PICs have quite a few development boards (from other vendors beside microchip as well) that are available.

Offline randyy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, »
I'm probably backward compared to most on this list, but I know NOTHING about PICs. I have however, done some work in arduinos.  They're nice, but if you're a complete noob to programming in general, I personally don't feel C is all that friendly.

It might be a bit more expensive, but to get your feet wet, you may want to have a look at parallax.com, at their BASIC stamp (or my favorite, which I've had much more experience with, their Propeller 8-core 32-bit micro).  BASIC, and the Propeller's "Spin" languages seem much less fussy to me than C, but your mileage may vary.

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, »
All I know about pics is how to physically program them.  I have been in electronics manufacturing for over 20 years as owner of a  contract manufacturing company and now employed as a product engineer and am being forced outside my comfort zone.  I know if I learn programming it would benefit me greatly in my work.  C and C++ seem to be the way I should go because both are supported by most compilers.  Is arduino a true c based system?

Offline charles59

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, »
I dont want to give the wrong impression. you can program with Assembler on the PIC.  In face, for the 8 bit and 24 bit PICs, I use assembly. 

There are also the Freescale micros to consider.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, »
The benefit to the Arduino is that it is a full system -- IDE (integrated development environment), programming chain and easily connected hardware (USB, pretty fool-proof).

The downside to Arduino is that its programming language is a variant of C (it's called Wiring). Now on my fourth (or fifth or maybe sixth or seventh) programming language, I made the transition to C/Wiring fairly easily. I don't know that I would have wanted to start with C (I actually started with a variant of Forth for you graybeards).

Starting out in programming is pretty easy with BASIC.

There are a number of BASIC-like languages that run on microprocessors; I have had great success with the Picaxe. There's a retired electronics engineering professor who sells Picaxe stuff in the United States — You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login — who sells Picaxe bits and pieces, including serial/USB adapters and the like.

I think if I were starting out again, I'd still start with the Picaxe.

After you're comfortable with BASIC and microprocessors in general, then you might consider moving to the Arduino.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline caretaker

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, »
Another route you can go is with Parallax You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login they have come out a with a new propeller development boards the program in C or C++ OR you can start with something as simple as a basic stamp which use "stampbasic" a basic programing language that is simple to learn. The best part of Parallax is they have great support and there are ton's of people that share code on there forums.   
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, »
Another one for PICs is Great Cow Basic (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) - it's a bit on the light side but it has a GUI builder which can get you started and then tailor things better with the text version. I moved on to PICBasic Pro which is very nice - just need some free time to actually use it...

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, »
wow, I had no idea there were so many options out there.  I have a STAMP development kit at the office, never have really looked at it.  I just know we have a project that is coming up at work that will all be done in C and really want to get my feet wet before I am left being the PCB layout guy only on yet another project, if I know even enough to sound like I have a clue I can get in on the software development and progress that direction in my career.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, »
Check out tinyclr.com.   they make some great boards like the ardunio but are programmed in c# using Visual Studios 2010.  Makes debugging much easier since you can step through the code.  The site also has lots of code samples to get you started.

Offline comporder1

Arduino programming
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, »
I've used Stamp, PIC, propeller, Arduino IDE. They all have their use. But I have really gotten into LabVIEW and Arduino. LabVIEW has released a toolkit, LIFA (LabVIEW interface for Arduino). Makes programming fun and FAST! It's definitely not a solution for everything, just another option. YouTube "LIFA LabVIEW".

Carey

Sent with Tapatalk/iPhone. Xcuse the spelzing!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, »
Just tagging this for later....was actually doing some research on this for an idea I have.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced