Author Topic: Wireless PixelNet for this year  (Read 1302 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
Wireless PixelNet for this year
« on: June 17, 2011, »
If you have seen some of my posts, you know that I am trying to find a wireless solution for PixelNet use for this year. I know RJ's solution will be out for next year, but since I do two houses, across the street from each other, I need to find a wireless solution for this year. I really want to use the Smart Strings on both houses.  I have found the 4 x USB Over IP - Mini, Part: LTU104H, that can be found at the following link:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . Does anyone know if this type of approach will work as the interface from my show computer, over my wireless network, to a wireless receiver, to the LTU104H, and have the Lynx dongle connected to the USB port on the remote end? If we think that it might work, then I will get one, try it and let everyone know. But I don't want to waste my money if this approach would be a complete disaster going in.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline dmoore

Re: Wireless PixelNet for this year
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, »
Is it possible for you to post photos of the area for other possible physical solutions?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, »
Interesting devices you found there.  It does seem like it 'might' work, esp. if combined with a gigabit wireless router for the USB to IP ... thus eliminating any reliance on your internet connections.

I think he said there is a fairly busy road between the two homes, so wire of any variety really isn't likely an option.

I'm not sure how much data transfer pixelnet is sending from the PC to the dongle, but the USB is potentially
capable of a  higher data transfer rate than your internet connection can support ... so even
of this device works, I'm not sure there isn't another bottleneck somewhere else.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, »
I have used this stuff before for USB to be added to a virtual machine - from my testing it isn't that fast (the devices we used) so I don't think it is going to work.  :(

The solution I know has been tossed around is do 2 PC's both running Vixen (sequences on both) and the remote client plugin (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) then do a PTP (Point to Point) network between the 2 with something like the Ubiquiti NanoStation (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to give you the MOST bandwidth posable (also easy of use - trying to do over the internet is a LOT more to troubleshoot for nay issue) - this is my backup plan if the EthrDongle doesn't come out this year but I still plan on using the NanoStations if it does.

Harrison

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, »
You have a PM

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, »
I have used this stuff before for USB to be added to a virtual machine - from my testing it isn't that fast (the devices we used) so I don't think it is going to work.  :(

The solution I know has been tossed around is do 2 PC's both running Vixen (sequences on both) and the remote client plugin (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) then do a PTP (Point to Point) network between the 2 with something like the Ubiquiti NanoStation (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to give you the MOST bandwidth posable (also easy of use - trying to do over the internet is a LOT more to troubleshoot for nay issue) - this is my backup plan if the EthrDongle doesn't come out this year but I still plan on using the NanoStations if it does.

Harrison

Forgot to say this approach is just sending a start command to tell the other system to play a sequence so the bandiwth is VERY small needed same approach RJ is taking.

Harrison

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, »
Pixelnet is 1 megabit per second - the full specification is on the wiki.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, »
That doesn't seem that fast. 

That ubiquiti product looks interesting.

Those You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, »
Here is an update. Thanks to PK I have set up Vixen to "sync" programs on 2 computers. It will start the sequences together, but by the time the sequence is partly through, they are out of sync enough to tell. I assume that it is the difference in the speed of each computer, but I don't know. So I have continued looking for a solution. And I think that I found it. ;D

Take a look at the software product at this link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Since it had a free trial, I thought that I would give it a try. AND IT WORKS!!! I have done some initial testing between 2 computers on my network, one of which is a laptop using a wireless router. The software is almost to easy to set up. Just install the "client" on your show computer and the "sever" on your remote computer. On the server, it automatically finds all of the connected USB ports. Of course one of them is the USB dongle flashed with PixelNet. Once that is set (the complete installation takes less that a minute or so, you go to the client. Of course on the client you already had to have set up your USB dongle and of course it has a com port assigned. You just leave your show software set up the way it was. You start the client on the show computer and tell it to connect to the USB dongle on the server computer (the list is automatically populated. No searching. Once that is done, the software communicates over the network and looks to the show software just like a com port. This was so easy to set up that even I could do it!! I have only run an initial test with one 128 node string and it worked flawlessly. I have 9 more strings that I will load up and give it a good bandwidth test. I will let you know how that goes. The only drawback to this is the cost. It costs $149 for the software. The paid version lets you connect to more than one device at a time. So, depending on bandwidth, you could probably have multiple PixelnNet universes. But I think that this may be my answer for this year.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, »
Thank You, Jim, for your research. I'm sure many can use it.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, »
Thats awesome ... thanks for sharing with us.  Keep us updated on how it works ... very innovative!