Author Topic: RGB gutter and roofline strips with pixels and clear ornaments from Michaels  (Read 1295 times)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
I am using RGB strips this year for my gutters. Although I think they look good I wanted a bulb effect like C-9's. I also wanted to be able to change the color. I have not been that impressed with the C-9 covers that Ray Wu sells to cover his pixels mainly because they seem dim. Also I did not want to hang four to six sets of LED C-9 retros.

So I found a 3 inch clear plastic ornament from Michaels on sell for $.44 a piece (70% off, typ 1.49). They are clear so I attached the ornaments to my drill and sanded them with 100 grit sand paper. This created a frost style look to them. Then I hot glued them to a piece of siding I had laying around and inserted three 12v pixels from Ray. This is just a prototype. I have not decided whether I want to paint finished version black or white. The finished version will not be as wide. I have attached some pictures and link to video.

Do you like the effect? Just getting some opinions before I make 20 more.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Looks like a neat ideal.
How do they look when on?

Bill

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Bill,
in first post there is a link to video.

Looks like a neat ideal.
How do they look when on?

Bill

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Trick question, right?  They obviously look great! :)

Watched your show video over youtube -- you did an awesome job with that as well, love the talking trees and the sequencing for everything else!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
Nice job look really good.  I think the only issue would be storage, meaning how durable are they going to be.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, by Rod R »

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
I can take zero credit for talking trees. The voice overs were created by a kwdelre on DIYC.

Since this was my first year I ran out of time for sequencing. The blinky community really saved my butt.

Trick question, right?  They obviously look great! :)

Watched your show video over youtube -- you did an awesome job with that as well, love the talking trees and the sequencing for everything else!

They are really durable. The plastic seems indestructible. But six weeks of being in the sun may change that.  Also I have been approved by financing (my wife) to build the first shed of two in the backyard to hold blinky flashy items. She is now on-board with show since her house has become center attraction in our small community.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, by dpitts »