Author Topic: Quick question on cable  (Read 1655 times)

Offline dgreen

Quick question on cable
« on: June 22, 2012, »
Hey all, I have a newbie question.
I am planning on using smart strings in this year’s display and was lucky enough to get in on the group buy.
Now it is time to order the lights so I looked on the wiki and found the smart string nodes to be the ones I want to use.
My only question, why is there a 3 conductor cable and connectors listed under accessories?
Don’t we need a 4 conductor?
Thanks

Offline njKeever

Re: Quick question on cable
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, »
Nope, 3 conductor. All the nodes are listed as Red, Green, Blue.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, »
You only need 3 connectors - Power, Ground and Data
Enjoy.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, »
You may be thinking 4 conductor like common positive and one negative per color r,g,b as would be the case with dumb rgb lights coming from an mr16 for example ... But remember smart strings have an ic in each node that is interpreting data for the r,g,b "channels" ... That is one conductor (blue), then you have positive dc (red) and negative dc (green) ... Thus 3 conductors

Offline dgreen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, »
Got it
Thanks

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, »
if you order wire for future use, I'd suggest 4-conductor.  that will allow you to use this for smart string now and dumb strings later. 

(of course you may be someone that orders only what you need for now... :) )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, »
Why would anyone want to go from smart to dumb?    <fp.

Ok, I know why ... but whats the cost difference for a dumb string vs. a smart string?

Can the dumb string be any variety, or only certain chipsets?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, »
there are many ways to run dumb strings for now. I'd wait to see the release of the soon to be out "dumb string controller" first, before making decisions on hardware to run them. For some of us, it will save the "oh, i should have waited just x amount of time."

But in general any DC dimmer will control a "dumb string" as long as it...

A.) can control the voltage of the string. (most are 12v, but there are some out there that are 5v, or 24v)
B.) is compatible with the side of the led that can individually control the colors
     1. common anode - has a common positive, so in order to change the red, green, or blue, you need a controller that controls the negative side.
     2. common cathode- has a common negative, so in order to change the red, green, or blue, you need a controller that controls the positive side.
     3. pass through - rare, but do esist, these have no common connector, and can be controlled on either the positive or negative side.
C.) can control the current of the device. (example, a lot of the lower power controllers might not run a full 5m dumb strip)

back to the OP, if you purchase 4 conductor cable, you can peel off a conductor for use with smart strings, but then have cable around to handle the 4 conductor needs of most dumb strings.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!