Author Topic: Rectangle nodes waterproof?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline diceman3807

Rectangle nodes waterproof?
« on: November 05, 2012, »
I ordered several sets of the rectangle nodes (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) from Ray, and the first set I got back were inconsistently sealed. He agreed to send me replacements for the items, and these also seem to be inconsistently sealed. I was expecting the clear covering to completely encapsulate the LED's and components on the rectangles. Is anyone else experiencing the same, or am I expecting too much and this is not going to cause issues?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Rectangle nodes waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, »
just go to harbor freight, and pick up a can of clear spray on electrical tape. make sure it's clear!   then coat your nodes. I'm doing that with my plastic rectangles just to be safe.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, »
It is Plasti dip made by Performix.

Use the spray version. I bought a can at ACE and it did 50 stars with 3 rectangles each with some left over.

I tested it in the shower and it rained during my July 4th show and there were no failures from water.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, »
Due to time constraints I am not taking this additional step so I am the official tester I guess.  All of my modules seem sealed with the exception of the chip as in your pics.  Might throw a set into bucket of water and find out. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, »
My square modules (metal shell, four 5050 chips) also have some IC chips without full coverage. The leads are covered but the plastic is not quite covered.

I'll probably visit Home Depot and get some sealant just to be sure. They're going on the roof in full sun and rain.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, »
As long as the conductive parts are covered I would think it would be sufficient.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, »
Thanks for all the information guys...

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, »
Submerged a good tested set into a bucket of water for 12 hours and just tested again and not a single problem.  My nodes look identical to the diceman's: all but surface of IC covered.  Will report back again in 12 more hours but I am going with mine as is.   

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Rectangle nodes waterproof?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, »
That's helpful Sam. I was going to coat them as I just got some from Ray. I will leave as is.
Sebastian from California

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, »
Submerged for 24 hours and no issues.  I am going with mine as is.  If it ain't broke don't fix it...