Author Topic: Madrix and E1.31???  (Read 1180 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Madrix and E1.31???
« on: January 22, 2012, »
I have read where Madrix does not support pixelnet, but what about over E1.31?? This is not a debate about pricing just a simple yes or no. Will Madrix drive our hardware??

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Madrix and E1.31???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, »
You are talking about two different things. I know that is not what you likely are being told but this is the way it works.

Pixelnet is an internal protocol to talk between my Equipment so you will not see software people supporting it. The device that creates the pixelnet on the other hand, the EtherDongle talks E1.31 with the software so any thing that does 1.31 will work with pixelnet. Does that make sense.

There is a video of my stuff running on Madrix. You just plug the ETD in to the network and it works.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, »
Thanks RJ! That is what I wanted to know!  :)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, »
I'm starting to hear more and more about Madrix lately, the first time the name Madrix stick in my mind is when I saw this video:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

How does Madrix compare to Light Show Pro? Madrix is definitely pricier, but LSP is no slouch when it comes to features when you consider the price. I wonder how much computer horsepower Madrix uses compared to LSP... I've heard people complain the LSP is a dog, but never heard the same complaint about Madrix. Or do you hear less bad stuff about Madrix because it isn't as common... sort of how people get the impression that Macs are trouble-free because there are less of them out there for people to complain about.   <yk..

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, »
That is exactly what I am planning for my roof! Although he beat me to it that looks AWESOME! I do not have the vision to do those kind of effects, but we will see what I can come up with. I do not think that LSP can drive that many nodes, but  I cannot afford Madrix so I will have to cut where I can. I keep hearing about Madrix , but have not heard what hardware that it can drive and thus my question, that RJ answered.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, »
As cool as it would be, I wouldn't want to be spending so much time on the roof getting the lights aligned properly with possible slippery (a.k.a. deadly) conditions. For some people, this whole Christmas light hobby is their life, but it's not worth trading their life.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, »
As cool as it would be, I wouldn't want to be spending so much time on the roof getting the lights aligned properly with possible slippery (a.k.a. deadly) conditions. For some people, this whole Christmas light hobby is their life, but it's not worth trading their life.

I already put about 15,000 lights on my roof now so I am used to it. We also put up early and our roof pitch is not extreme.

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, »
Yeah, looking at your avatar, your roof is a bit less steep than mine... plus when you fall off the roof of a one-storey rancher, the results aren't as dire as falling two storeys!

Offline angus40

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, »
You will want to use lsp ,vixen or what ever sequencing software is your norm along with madrix.

With the start key version of madrix ( @ 300$ approx) gives you 1 dmx universe -512 channels capability = 170 pixels worth of addressing ( 510 channels useable rgb )

To increase the capacity of madrix the price goes up 3x to get 15 more dmx universes of blinky - flashy addressing etc.

Also to note madrix does not natively output audio.

That being said it sure make 1 appreciate lsp- Mike and vixen-Kc for making affordable and free products for us diy'ers.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, »
Yeah, looking at your avatar, your roof is a bit less steep than mine... plus when you fall off the roof of a one-storey rancher, the results aren't as dire as falling two storeys!

Back of my roof is 2 story, but fortunately not the front. When working on the back with all of the cables (Up where my Merry Christmas is) does get a little unnerving at times.