Author Topic: Smart String Demonstration  (Read 1337 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
Smart String Demonstration
« on: July 04, 2011, »
I thought that you might like to see my first demonstration of Smart Strings. It is short but shows everything in action. This is 1  128 node Smart String and using Olive Studio to program and control the string. Here is the direct link to the video:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Have a happy 4th of July! ;D Here is another link to the video:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, by JimWright »
Jim Wright

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Smart String Demonstration
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, »
Very nice!   <pop..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jimm

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, »
Nice Jim. I like it.

Offline PVPlaceLights

• Lola "Bean" - The Equalizer
    • Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, »
Jim,

The wreath looks great. I can't wait to see it with the matrix effect.

--Matt
Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, »
I thought about doing this with my big wreath, but worry the pixel sequencing would get too hard, since the lights would tend to be sorta haphazardly placed to get them wrapped into the wreath. Will like to see a final video once you get the lights in the wreath. Does Lightshow pro let you do spiral matrixes to use the transitions layers with something like this, or would you have to go in and manually build the matrix to place the lights on it?
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, »
I am not sure about LightShow Pro. I have not used it. As you can see from the above, Matt is working on a matrix effect in Olive Studio. Hopefully, that will do the trick. I have decided that I will mount the lights on a semi-stiff wire and mount them through the back. That should give me enough control over positioning so that I can get the lights exactly where I want them (and help hold them there). We will see. I have to do 4 of these and I want them all exactly the same. I don't know if you can tell in the video, but you can see 4 white ropes, tied around the wreath at 3, 6 9, and 12 o'clock positions. Those are temporary, but I will use them so that I get the same number of lights in each quadrant of the wreath (in each spiral leg). This will take a while, but I think it will work. With all of the work involved with this, I am going to reseal the strings with Plasti-Dip first (as RJ suggested) so that I will not have any water issues. Also, that will help seal the places that I had to patch in new lights (or additional lights) in each string (although I did used shrink wrap to insulate the wires. I will provide a demo video as soon as I get at least one completely put together in its final form. That will be a while.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, »
Jim -

It looks good. 

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, »
I am going to reseal the strings with Plasti-Dip first (as RJ suggested) so that I will not have any water issues.

I'm thinking about the resealing process too, but what size bucket (or barrel) of Plasti-Dip and how tall the "hang to drip dry" assembly will have to be for the 128-node strings.   :)

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline caretaker

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, »
Looks great!  Can't wait to see the finished project incorporated in your display.  <pop..
Jeff Squires