Author Topic: Arranging SS nodes  (Read 3924 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Arranging SS nodes
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, »
ok, after playing around a bit more...

red 255
green 255
blue anywhere from 32-64  depending on how dirty (soft) you want it to look
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just wondering if you know off the top of your head if the three colors can produce a warm white instead of a cool white.
This is a good write-up on "whiteness"...

This is also helpful...

Warm White is 248, 245, 212

Antique White is 250, 235, 215

Of course you can play with the numbers for any color version you like

to find more colors this is a nice site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, »
Great find!  Been looking for this type of info.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, »
that's a good read, Steve...    in the case of pixel lights, they don't have much of a range in the dark scale (why i can't get brown)   so the rgb numbers need to be tweaked a little to get the same color.  kind of like having a high light curve... 

the colors i previosly posted, i had to pull the blue color way down to get the light to even soften up.

remember, rgb in the computer world has 6 factors...   we only get to play with three of them.

USE:     Computer       Christmas Lights
Setting
R              X                     X
G              X                     X
B              X                     X
Hue            X
Sat            X
Lum            X

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, »
Would love to see what you come up with. I was thinking about this very thing, for the very same reason. The wife wants icicles, I want RGB and I thought would be a good compromise. Albeit an expensive one. I think for next year I am just converting the C9s to SS and we have to wait and see on the icicles.

Brian

I was planning on getting into RGB next year, but my wife wants to add 2 more colors of icicles this year.(have 3 now) So here is the problem: I can do anything I want with the display as long as my wife gets her icicles. Now adding 2 more colors of good quality lights will cost $250.to 400. enclosed is a diagram of what I would like to do. I know i would have to inject power , and it will be alot of work. but can it be done? Now if it can, would I be able to group all the nodes so they just change to the coors I want or is there a limit? Is the chip 8 bit and 256 color? The colors I would want are white, blue, red and green. the coolwhite icicles would still have to be used

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, »
Thanks for the info guys, I will order sone strings as soon as the people in china are off holiday(jan 28th). Now if I recall reading on the forum I do believe S.Gase reduced the 128 string to 80 for better operation, and also I chose Lightshow pro to program Is that a good choice?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, »
I did have better success with 85 than I saw with 128...  but in hindsight I think my experience is not very useful.

I had bought pixels in 2 batches...  each batch had 20+ strings of 128.  Inspecting them, they both looked waterproofed to the same degree and I thought they were all IP68 (new gen).  Turns out that one batch was IP67 and the other batch was IP68.  I found that IP67 is flat along the cylinder that holds the board/chip within the pixel.  IP68 is fully-rounded.  So my testing was done with an unknown combination of pixels.  I did repairs because of malfunctioning pixels -- and when I did this I mixed in IP67 with IP68 strings, and vice-versa.

The other thing that I did that causes me to suspect my findings... I had my strings still in loops when I tried to burn them in (in my dry garage).  After 6-7 hours they started acting flakey.  When I cut them down to 85 nodes, they no longer acted flaky.  I now suspect heat buildup from having 10 strings each in their own loops sitting on my shelf.

So, I have no proof that using 128 IP68 pixels, stretched out into a string will not give great results.  Others have not had a problem.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, »
Steve in your particular case, you might have had a bad node that was flaking out with not enough power.  by cutting them down to 85 nodes, might have provided more power to the nodes in that string?  (kinda like RJ's resistor fix for the SSC)

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, »
Steve in your particular case, you might have had a bad node that was flaking out with not enough power.  by cutting them down to 85 nodes, might have provided more power to the nodes in that string?  (kinda like RJ's resistor fix for the SSC)
Anything is possible... there were too many variables that I didn't understand initially. 

I'm hoping that my plans to recondition my strings and other components will shed more light over my past issues.