Author Topic: ATX Single vs Dual 12V rail?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
ATX Single vs Dual 12V rail?
« on: March 21, 2012, »
I know that in the wiki that it states that the Smart strings hub should be powered up with a single rail 12V ATX power supply.

My question is couldn't you power two hubs with a dual rail 12V ATX power supply (one rail per hub)?  For instance I see that a dual has two +12V at 24A each.  Would that give me 24A per each hub?  I have noticed that in a lot of cases the dual rail is cheaper then a single rail also.  Am I totally off the mark?  My last intention is to try to lead people down the "primrose path" 
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: ATX Single vs Dual 12V rail?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, »
2 problems from doing that...

depending on how much current is used by each hub, you might not have enough common conductors to pass the current without heating up the wires.

also, there's no gauranteed way to ensure which wire is on which rail. if if there truely is a 2nd rail. some manufactures use a single rail, but claim it's a mulit rail on the box.

some of the more inexpierenced computer builders think more rails is better.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, »
the total amps is 24 but you cant tell how much is available at each rail unless the data sheet for the supply tells you.
You also need to know which wires coming out of the supply are connected to each rail and make sure you don't get any
of them crossed. Doing so could cause one rail to overload.
Safer not to try unless you can answer those questions. be safe you don.t need a fire.
Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, »
also as a pointer..  in the wiki it mentions to connect as many power connectors to the hub as possible. we had a member that only user the 24pin connector, and it melted.

if you use two hubs, one hub wont even have the large connector used, so you might also run into issure with the other voltages used.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, »
I purchased two single rail Power Supplies to power my two hubs, one is rated at 850 watts and the second at 700 watts, so I have plenty of power with at least 30% "spare". Also, I opted for high quality power supplies rather than lower cost power supplies. I've purchased lower cost power supplies for high end PCs before and have had three fail within 18 months of purchase, so I stay away from low cost ones now.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, »
I guess the old adage of you get what you pay for comes in to play again!
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪