Hardware > Lynx Aether

all members report any Aether II issues

(1/18) > >>

RJ:
If you are having an issue getting an Aether II working please post one post in this thread with a detailed description of your issues and what you have done to test it.

I have not been very avaliable lately and am working to catch up. I see some people that are having issues but the info is scattered so much this will help me see a pattern if one exist of issues. The Aether II is a simple device and should be very trouble free to build so I am thinking there is some simple issue like a bad firmware ect cause at least a few of the people that are having issues their problems. I am just not even sure how many are having issues out of all the ones shipped.

Please keep your post to one post unless I ask you for more. And lets not start a conversation as this is to help me and following a conversation is not what I had in mind.

Even if you have posted elsewhere please post here as I am so far behind on post this will let me catch up without the ones I missed.

RJ

kgustafson:
RJ,

First, thanks for the taking the time in your over-busy schedule to do this.

AETHER II BUILD 1 -
Issue: Not accepting any commands from Vixen after build

Actions:
- Finished build
- Ran addressing program that you provided and began broadcasting new address command through a known working DMX dongle
- Switched to program mode (left switch to left)
- Powered up and it flashes red as expected
- Ran the addressing program that you provided and sent a new address to the unit
- Powered down
- Stopped addressing program
- Switched to operate (left switch to right)
- Powered up and it flashes briefly white then dark
- Started up Vixen to run test - no matter what I send to unit no response at all

What I have tested:
- Reflashed PIC chip (validated the checksum with what is advertised in the Wiki)
- Visually inspected all soldering to ensure good connections
- Used a cable tester to ensure the RJ-45 connectivity to orange and orange/white was working from the dongle to Aether connections
- I even tried inezos' way of programming (not powering down between program and operate steps) to no effect

AETHER II BUILD 2 -
Issue : All White no matter the mode (program or operate)

Actions:
- Finished build
- Set to program (left switch left)
- Power on and solid white (and quite bright)
- Powered off and set to operate (left switch right)
- Power on and solid white (and quite bright)
- Power down in confusion
When I first built this unit, I failed to insert the IC chips before I initially powered it up.  This may have something to do with the defect.  But I think you may be the better judge of that.

Tests:
- Check PIC and it was flashed correctly with the correct checksum
- Checked all solders - May have a cold solder on the large capacitor (will have to resolder later tonight if I have time)

I do own a simple multimeter (nothing with a scope) and can do simple tests with this if you need further testing with a meter.
I am holding off my third build for now, but may try it this weekend. 
Also, I am finding the pad soldering to be challenging just because it is so different.  On some of my solders I seemed to have to apply quite a bit of heat to the pads to get them to flow.  Is there a better way to get a good solder with pads than using an iron and solder wire?  I am concerned that this may be damaging to the LED.

Thanks,

Kurt

inzeos:
RJ,

I've had some issues with my first build.  Some I have resolved myself others I have not resolved.  My primary issue right now is that I cannot get the RED in the LED to turn on bright enough to illuminate much of anything.  It seems to stay the intensity you would see during the RED flashing on an off used during programming.

Currently all my other channels appear to be working.

I have replaced the original LED PCB and the problem persists.  I have replaced the 5 legged component near the R on the PCB board and problem persists.  I'm not sure what to check now.

I do have a multimeter and I do not have a scope.  I'm wondering what I might check next?

I have a thread tracking my progress and issues here;

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Regards,

Leif

kfxi:
I have constructed five units and the only problem was with addressing.  The first couple of times I sent the address it would not take but I just sent the address again and it started working.  All five units are now working.  Yes they are bright !

Ken

wbuehler:
My Aether II is not working at all, but I found the issue.  I missed the Co-Op.  <yk..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version