Author Topic: My first ever computer controlled light show  (Read 3113 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: My first ever computer controlled light show
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, »
WOW, wish I lived nearby so I could see it in person.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, »
Hi Ron

I love your spiral tree & may add one to my show next year. A few questions if you do not mind.
How tall is your pole?
What did you use to support the strings of lights, rope, wire?
Did you twist 2 strings of lights together so you still had the 24' or did you make it one long string of48' ?

Thanks Mike

I will be more then glad to share Mike.  I built the frame for the tree at the end of May2010.  Here is the link of when I posted about it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It is a half version of the "Weber Spiral Tree".  His was 32 feet tall and mine is 16 feet tall.  I used a 6 foot base.  I did change from multi 24 feet 100 count WalMart minis to 2 "50" count multi GE 33 cent a box LEDs from Lowes.  The length is 12 foot per strand of 50 or 24 feet for 100 total so nothing basically changed.  A wise choice for sure.  The LED's on a spiral look great.  I went exactly two (2) turns down with my lights.  Again the best part of my tree design is I could lay it on its side and install the lights on it.  The highest point being 6 feet off the ground.  The safety pins seem to be working out good.  We had gusts close to 40mph and no problems.  As you can see with 8 ropes going up and 8 going down gave me 16 lines to attach my lights to.  I have 3 things I would change.

1.  Use bigger the 1.5" PVC.  The weight of all the lights was almost to much.  I would just go with 3" and call it good.

2.  For my 16 feet I used a 10 foot on bottom and a 6 foot on top with a collar to attach them together.  This is just fine but put the 6 foot on the bottom and the 10 foot on top.  With the two areas being guyed, this would make the top much stronger when setting it up and while working on it.

3.  I used a cotton based rope and it had to be tightened up twice already.  I would go with a rope that is more nylon based so it would not stretch as much.  It was not that much trouble.  I did use turnbuckles.

In all I was happy with my design.  The base is very sturdy and I painted it with Thompson wood sealer to keep the weather off of it.  I will take a few pictures showing the lights attached to it.  Hope this answered your questions.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, »
Thanks Ron

It looks great

Mike