Author Topic: Battery operated LEDs and modified strands  (Read 1308 times)

Offline paulcimn

Battery operated LEDs and modified strands
« on: November 25, 2012, »
I will begin by admitting that by no means an expert... and if you read further, that might become more evident.

I have been buying LEDs for three years now trying to build an animated light show like a lot of you guys already have assembled. I have noiticed that the LEDs typically come in one of three ways... with a transformer plug, with a resistor in two of the light plugs, or with in-line resistor/transformer blocks. My challenge is two fold:

1 - I would like to figure out a way to replace the transformer plug at the of some of my light strands

2 - In some cases I would like to modify the length of a strand of LED Lights without reducing the life of the LED.

This is my second year building a light display. Last year we lived in College Station (Go Aggies) and only used (1) 16 channnel LE and about 3000 lights to make a Halloween and Christmas display that was respectable.  At the end of the year, I bought another LE Assembled but no with any chords or case. At the end of the holiday, I also purchased 20,000 LEDs to enhance the display. This year we moved but the boys are now getting more interested.

Enough about me and back to the first project... Last year I also bought or constructed a handful of stars and would like to wrap them in lights. A typical strand is way too long, but last year, I bought a dozen battery powered light strings that I would like to convert to AC. Similarly, I bought a number of pre-done stars that have male plugs with transformer block ends that I am trying to convert. 

Secondly, last year I bought drop ceiling wire and created a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" for the front yard and wrapped it with 2 strands of lights. One allows it to shine all white, the other multi-colored. The strand of lights was 10-12 feet longer than the letters and just dangles in a ball at the end. This particular light strand has 99 LEDs in three sections of 33 each. The blocks are sealed and have three wires coming in and out with a female allowing to extend the string.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... I am posting another question on a board, to be determined later, looking for recommendations on an Arch. Thansk for everyone's support and help.

Offline paulcimn

Re: Battery operated LEDs and modified strands
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, »
Nothing, no one has time to assist?

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, »
There is a post somewhere on the site about shortening LED strings and using resistors to make the voltages correct, but can't remember the name of the post. I know that it is very important to use the correct resistor values with each color of string or you will blow the LED's....  <md.. when shortening them. Do a search of the site.

Sorry, I don't have the post name for you.

Greg

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, »
I use this..

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, »
Steve Thanks for pointing this out.

Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, »
You can shorten any LED/Incan string at the point where there are 2 wires between bulbs without adding resistors.

I converted my LED icicle lights from half wave to full wave.  If you're using LEDs for a synchronized light show, you probably won't notice significant difference in bulb life.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, »
I am planning on removing leds from the 3 wire sections. I dont like having the extra LED's on there. Last year I used black plastic dip to cover them because I do not know how to actually remove them.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, »
Extremely low-tech,but with such low power usage in LED strings I just wrap them in a thick black plastic bag and rubber band them in. This works especially well on bushes and up in trees or on the roof.