Author Topic: Wtb pixelnet active hub  (Read 1432 times)

Offline CourtBard

Wtb pixelnet active hub
« on: November 09, 2012, »
I have an active hub that I built last year, but for some reason, the Dmx output from it does not work. I can get my smart strings to work fine, but no Dmx. If anyone has another active hub built or in kit form, I am in the market. If anyone knows what might cause the dmx problem please let me know.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Wtb pixelnet active hub
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, »
did you verify the pic programming?  pixelnet will work without the pic being programmed, but dmx will not.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
did you verify the pic programming?  pixelnet will work without the pic being programmed, but dmx will not.

I have tried reprogramming the chip. One suggestion that I got last year was that maybe one of the 485 chips was bad, but I tested each of them in a spare ssr4 and every one worked fine. I have looked over the board many times to see if there was a soldering issue, but everything looks good. I don't know what else to try.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, »
It might help us to help you if you can better explain exactly what you are doing.  What position do you have the DMX universe jumper set to?  What sequence channels are you trying to use for DMX?  What device are you connecting to the DMX output?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It might help us to help you if you can better explain exactly what you are doing.  What position do you have the DMX universe jumper set to?  What sequence channels are you trying to use for DMX?  What device are you connecting to the DMX output?

I will explain the test setup I have been trying to get working. The hub is set to pixelnet universe 1 and dmx universe 1. I plug either the lynx usb Dingle flashed with the pixelnet firmware, or the etherdongle (have tried both dongles) into the pixelnet in on the hub. Plug a ssr4 into the dmx out port (yes I have made sure that they have been set to ch 1-4 and that the terminate jumper is set). I plug a smart string with 100 nodes into one of the 16 pixelnet ports. The smart string is programmed for channels 89 through 389 (100 rgb nodes).

I try to turn on channel 1 with test software or vixen or xlights etc and no output. Same thing for any of the dmx channels. I turn on channel 89 and the red channel of node 1 for the smart string comes on. Any of the smart string nodes work fine.

If I plug the same ssr4 into a dongle flashed for dmx, I can control all the channels fine.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, »
The first and easiest thing to do would be to reflash the SSC to channel one,  This way, when you turn on channel one to test the DMX output, you will get confirmation that the channel is actually being turned on.  If the pixelnet node 1 comes on but the SSR4 channel one does not, then we can go further to see what is happening.  I would also suggest that if the node turns on and the SSR4 does not, then I would post some closup pictures of the HUB so that we can see if we can find something that you might have missed.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, »
I made a quick video of what is going on and the things I have tested. I will try reflashing the ssc to channel 1. I will also try to take some close up pics of the hub. the video is located here (removed video link)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, by CourtBard »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, »
unless it was a mistake, plug in your 24pin atx connector. you're not getting the 3v power

Offline rm357

Wtb pixelnet active hub
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, »
+1
The 485 chips use the +5v, pixelnet devices use +12v, and the pic on the active hub uses the +3.3v.
The 4 pin connectors only have the 5 and 12 volt lines. Gotta have the 24 pin (or the 20 pin if its an older supply) for 3.3v - or - you can install the optional 3.3 v components on the hub.

Nice job on the video!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, »
Well, that would do it. I thought I read that you could use either then 3 5v 4pin molex connectors or the 24 pin depending on your power supply. My power supply is a really old power supply, so I think it has the older style connector. Where would I plug it in if it is a 20 pin, vs 24 pin. I would hate to plug it in the wrong place and fry something.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, »
the 20 pin will only fit into that connector one way  the 4 pins closest to the other connectors would be empty

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, »
Apparently, I had a bad power supply. I switched it out for another one, and everything is working great!!!!!

Thanks so much to everyone who provided comments / suggestions that finally led to the solution. I can't believe it was simply a stupid lack of understanding about which power connectors supply power to what. <fp.

Again, thanks so much!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, by CourtBard »