Author Topic: Is there a TV Repairman in the house?  (Read 523 times)

Offline galgon

Is there a TV Repairman in the house?
« on: December 08, 2011, »
I know this is completely off topic but with the variety of backgrounds on this site I was hoping someone would have at least some insight to my problem.  My mom's 52 inch LCD started acting very funny last week where the screen would display things very red and be fuzzy.  When in letterbox the bars would be all red - changing video sources did not change this.  It does not happen all the time but usually only after running fine for a while. 

Research on the net pointed me to bad capacitors which is the usual problem for Samsung LCDs.  I opened it up and was hoping to use my new found soldering skills from building expresses to take out the offending cap and replace it.  I inspected the caps and none looked blown (to my untrained eye).  More searching on the net pointed me to the T-con board which i guess can cause such distortions. 

So I was just wondering if anyone on the site was familiar with TVs and is my googleing correct?  I found the board on the web and put in an order but was just hoping that someone would agree with my assessment while I still have a chance to cancel it.

Thanks in advance.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline galgon

Re: Is there a TV Repairman in the house?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, »
Well in case any one is wondering - or perhaps someone on the internet is searching for a solution to this very problem - the T-con card was the problem.  I ordered one up from some place called ShopJimmy and after a few screws and plugging in a few cables the TV is as good as new.  Net cost of around $100 including shipping.  Frankly I am amazed that it worked and it was that easy.  Just had to replace the right part. 
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline therealbigjim

Re: Is there a TV Repairman in the house?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, »
Good job. Many would have pitched the TV and spent 599 on a new one .
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login