Author Topic: Smart String Wiring  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Pete

Re: Smart String Wiring
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, »
I too found this happening when testing my lights.

The current draw of the strings I was testing exceeded the max current rating of my wall wart.  I change out my power supply to a 10 amp rated supply and I have not had the problem.

Check the WIKI for the current ratings of the smart strings under pixel lights.

Pete

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, »
Pete:
I was just beginning to think the same thing - that maybe current draw is the problem. I have a nice heavy duty PC power supply. I will try that. Things are getting better. It is running great, except for certain modes (more lights on). However, I am up to 112 nodes. I will try a bigger supply. Thanks.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What are you all powering this controller with?  (12v, # amps ?)

I'm still wondering how the ATX power supply will know to turn on via. the SS controller, or if it'll just be on all the time.

The SS controller does not activate the power supply.  The power supply is connected to the hub and the hub has the required connections to activate the supply.  I do believe that while the sullpy is connected to the hub it will always be on.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, »
I have great news!  ;D  Everything is working as it should. It was definitely a power supply problem. I tried a wall wart and had problems. I tried a bench top power supply and it obviously could not supply enough current. I had measured that, in the maximum number of nodes that I could get (112 in simple modes where not everything was on) the voltage was down to just under 4 volts. I pulled out the new 750 watt power supply that I bought to power a fully loaded smart string hub and everything works great. The power source was definitely the problem. Of course the lack of an English manual for the controller didn't help either. The link to the manual above really helped. Thanks to all of you responded and helped. Every suggestion added information to help figure out the cause of the problem. I really love this site and the people on it.  ;D
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline keitha43

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you are using the pixels like I am,  Red and positive 12v from power supply go together and connect to the 12v screw,  Green and Negative from power supply go the grn screw.  And blue from the string goes to the DIM1 screw. 

Freebird
I am a little confused. Does the unit also require a 12v power walwart for the right side? And by the GND screw you are refering to one by the 12v screw or does the power supply go into that one and the pixel strand go into the one next to DIN1?

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, »
Freebird: No it does not need a wall wart if you connect your power supply to the + 12 v and ground leads on the controller. You use the same connection to power your smart strings (red for +12v and green for ground). Then the blue wire into the DIN 1 hole.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline keitha43

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, »
Thanks Jim. That question was from me. I accidently left Freebirds name from his quote.

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, »
I should look closer at the posts. Sorry.
Jim
Jim Wright